Hi, I've not posted here before, and am looking for some advice. I am a newly qualified midwife on maternity leave, feeling a bit useless and lost.
We have a five month old son who was born at 42wks gestation, weighing 3780g. This put him on the 75th centile for weight. He is - to this day - exclusively breastfed, and continued to gain along this centile until he was approx 12 weeks, at which point his weight gain slowed, dropping to the 50th centile, then to just below the 9th, at which point he had lost 10g as opposed to gaining. This was discovered 4 weeks ago. The weight lost coincides with him sleeping through the night more often, and me expressing prior to him waking (I realise I have been feeding the freezer), and also with me joining weightwatchers and losing half a stone. I don't think there was anything pathological causing his weight loss, just me not feeding him often enough and stealing his cream to give to him when I go back to work (for which I feel AWFUL).
Our GP referred us to the local hospital, and today we say a consultant paediatrician. My son has gained 480g in just under 4 weeks, and so is gaining weight steadily. The paediatrician was happy he was doing fine developmentally, he is bright, healthy boy, but just a touch on the lighter side. He weighs 6.32kg today and so remains just under the 9th centile. I had hoped we could just continue as normal, as this weight gain would suggest my milk is adequate? The paed felt differently and has recommended we start on some high calorie formula and commence weaning with purees. I REALLY didn't want to wean him just yet. I've done lots of research surrounding baby-led weaning, and was hoping to follow that method. Also, he isn't quite able to sit up unassisted, and it just seems a bit soon. I had obviously hope to avoid formula as I have both asthma and eczema and can't help but believe what I have been taught, in that avoiding formula and solids until around 6 months should help to prevent these. I realise this is not a completely normal situation, in that he may have been compromised by the lack of milk, but I think we're back on track. I am wary of disregarding medical advice, but this consultant seemed out of date, particularly when I tried to talk with him about BLW, and about allergies.
All of this is going on at a time when the 'when to wean' debate is thriving, following the publication of that research review on Friday (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...rt-of-comments). Having read the BFI / UNICEF response (http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/pdfs/...cle_140111.pdf), I was keen to continue as planned, but the paed seemed to think that following the publication of a single review (not even an RCT), we should all revert back to weaning at 4 months! This is a common response from doctors, but I remember my uni lecturers and lactation consultants being passionate and extremely well informed on this matter, and insisting waiting is better and safer.
I'm not sure what to do.
I think we will wean before he is 6 months, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice / similar experiences?
Also, as he was 2 weeks late, does this mean his digestive system is more able to cope with solids, or does this correlate to time exposed to milk (and not corrected age)?
I have contacted the lactation consultant at the hospital where he was born / where I trained, but as time is of the essence here, any information or advice would be most welcome.
Ahh, feels a bit better to have got all of that written down.