Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old baby wants solids already??

Question 6 month old baby wants solids already??

We had planned on delaying solids with our second baby just as we had with our first.

Our first baby was a runt and physically developed slow. She was on breastmilk only until 9 months and then slowly started solids. She never showed interest or wanted solids until we worked to get her started. She was late at sitting up, crawling, etc. but is doing great now.

This baby has physically developed quickly. She was sitting up already (has been since 3 months), wanting cups, opening her mouth and trying to grab at my spoon when I am eating. She is showing all the signs of wanting solids but when we tried for the first time last night she still has the thrust thing with her mouth so she spits the solids out. Does this mean she is not ready after all?

I do not want her to wean until she is ready (hopefully around 2 years old) so I do not want to push solids but she is also been fussy lately after nursing. My supply is lower - still enough but she likes oversupply and fast flowing breast milk and my supply is "normal" now rather then oversupply (which is what she wants).

Advice?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: 6 month old baby wants solids already??

hows her pincer grasp?
    can she pick stuff up on her own?

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

from that link

There are a number of things you can do to let baby participate in mealtimes without starting solids:

•Let baby sit with the family at mealtime - in a lap, booster seat or high chair.
    •Give baby a cup of water or expressed milk. Your baby can entertain himself at mealtime while learning to use a cup. 1-3 ounces of water in the cup should be plenty (often for the entire day). Many moms choose to use only water or a small amount of breastmilk to avoid wasting the "liquid gold" while baby learns to use the cup.
    •Offer baby sips of water from your cup or straw. Even if baby hasn't figured out how to use a straw yet, you can put your straw in water, block the top end of the straw with your finger to trap a little water in the straw, then let baby drink the water from the lower end of the straw (unblock the top end once it's in baby's mouth).
    •Offer baby spoons, cups, bowls and other baby-safe eating utensils to play with during mealtime.
    •Give baby an ice cube (if it's a baby-safe size & shape) or ice chips to play with.
    •Offer baby a momsicle (popsicle made from breastmilk) or slushy frozen breastmilk to eat with a spoon.

then there are some neat myths on the bottom of the page too.

We are doing momsicles which she loves.
    I have given her milk in a soft spout cup and she puts it to her mouth and will even drink a little from it.
    When we give her a spoon she moves it into her mouth right away and then directs it in the direction of our plates and back to her mouth as if she put food on it.
    She is doing everything my first baby did at 10 months so part of me thinks I should let her try to eat solids but my worry is that she will self wean too early. I guess I am not sure if I am delaying solids because of MY desire to breastfeed (and do not want her to wean early) or because I know it is best for HER.

Forgot to add she does have full pincer grasp and hand/eye coordination already.
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; January 17th, 2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added full pincer grasp
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

If you do baby led solids, then she can really pace herself in starting on solids, and you're not making her eat anything. I would put her in a chair (or on a lap) with some pieces of sweet potato and see what she does with them. Joe never did well with spoon-feeding, but he loved picking up foods and trying new things. We had one of those mesh teething bags, and I would put a frozen peach in it and he loved to gnaw on it. It sounds like your baby might be ready now, at least to play with food if not eat it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I also suggest trying BLS. That way baby can explore solids at her own pace.

IME it's hard sometimes to remember to look at each LO as an individual. Our DS1 really didn't eat solids until he was 8.5 or 9 mo. DS2 LOVED solids and was crying asking for more food and doing 3 meals a day by 7 mo. DS2 is now 16.5 mo, eats a ton, and also still bf al the time.

Just follow baby's lead and keep offering bf first.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Well, we tried BLS and yes, she is ready. She went crazy with the sweet potato the first night and banana the second. She stared screaming for daddys spoon so we gave her a little baby spoon and she tried to use the spoon to eat the sweet potato. It was amazing and she was soo happy.

I guess my little girl is growing up fast. She will be our last too so maybe that is why I am worried about her weaning and gowing up too quick. ;-)

Don't worry. It's healthy for her to be interested in solids at her age. Good thing are giving them. Enjoying solids is not the same as weaning early. Remember bfing is more than transfer of liquid sustinence.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Smile Re: 6 month old baby wants solids already??

Thanks all. Tonight DH wanted to try banana before nursing and she refused - I was happy. After nursing she sat with us at dinner and then ate 1/2 of a banana! Wow, more than I woudl have ever expected. Her stomach is sticking out and she looks like a gorilla.

SHe has never gone more than 3 hours w/o feeding so maybe this will help her a little. We shall see.

ok so she started solids last week and loves them. BUT, now I got my period back today. I was pumping the same ammount of milk until my supply crashed 2 days ago. What can I do?