Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 months, reallly need some advice....please read...

Default 4 months, reallly need some advice....please read...

Please take a moment to give me your advice. I am bfing my 3rd child. He is exclusively on the breast except in the rare case I need to take a certain medication, then he gets one feeding of breast milk in a bottle while I pump and dump.

At any rate, he was very hungry so I started him on cereal at 4 months. He loves it. I have some breast milk stored but all at 4 ounces per pack. I use about 1 ounce with the cereal. I thought once I defrost milk and heat it I can't use it again, correct?

I know there is no one way to do things and there is no right answer. But what do I do? I don't want to waste three ounces, I don't have that much supply to waste three ounces.

I try to pump before giving him cereal and use the fresh but it's only 1/2 ounce which isn't enough. Starting to pump and store up supplies of one ounce per bag doesnt seem like a good idea either because those darn bags are so expensive to store only one ounce in.

What would you do? I am really distraught over this. I don't know what to do. I just can't think of a solution. I want to use breast milk for the cereal.

Plus, when do I go to 3 times a day cereal and when do I start jar veggies?

AMY
    My DD's have never seen the inside of a day care because I've worked from home for over 3 years! You can too! Ask me how!

"You know you're preggo when....you pee when you sneeze!"

"You know you're a mama when, you are making lunch for yourself and you cut your strawberry into 6 pieces"

Jacksonville AMY

Default Re: 4 months, reallly need some advice....please read...

The thawed milk is good for 24 hours so you could use it for 2 mornings right?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Can I? But I thaw it in hot water, so it's warm for the cereal, so then it's warm. Can I chill it in the fridge and warm it again for a 2nd use? I thought I couldn't.
    My DD's have never seen the inside of a day care because I've worked from home for over 3 years! You can too! Ask me how!

"You know you're a mama when, you are making lunch for yourself and you cut your strawberry into 6 pieces"

Jacksonville AMY

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    The thawed milk is good for 24 hours so you could use it for 2 mornings right?
    As long as you thaw in the fridge, the milk is good for 24 hours minimum.

From Kellymom.....
    Previously frozen milk may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours after it has finished thawing. Do not refreeze.
    I think it's interesting that it says 24 hours AFTER the milk is FINISHED thawing. So while it is still thawing maybe you could time it so you could skim off 1 oz (only warmimg up the 1 oz) and prolong the life of the milk over 3 different feedings?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Ok, so with this said, if I that it in the fridge rather putting it right into the hot water, then take only 1 hours to warm for usage from the packet of 4 ounces, any ideas on how to warm this one ounce I have removed from the plastic bag?

THANKS

Jacksonville AMY

One thing you might want to try is making breastmilk ice cubes in a freezer tray. You can make a batch and then store them in a plastic container in the freezer, and remove one at a time for use w/ cereal.

If you want to share the name of the medication you're taking, someone may be able to look it up for you and determine whether or not it's compatible with nursing. Docs tend to be overcautious when telling moms whether or not they can nurse while on meds.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What do you store in bottles or bags? Just thaw, swirl lightly and pour an oz out to use, you could heat that oz on water too I'd imagine.

Yes also what med is it?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

The medication is imitrix, for migrandes. The ice cube idea sounds great!!! But, how do I heat the ice cube? The same with just takeing some out of the bag. How do I heat the "loose milk" since we supposidly are not allowed to just put it in the microwave. What do I put the loose milk or loose cube into in order to heat?

These are my dilemas...how to make it all work without putting milk in microwave.

Jacksonville AMY

You can place the ice cube of milk in a small glass and set that glass into a bigger glass of warm water.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Immitrex is an L3, but the dr hale says no significant risk to nursing babies, why don't you read the dr hale stuff and decide for yourself depending on how often. You take it.

Reheat in a bottle.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language