Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Created an oversupply, help me stop it!

Default Created an oversupply, help me stop it!

I always use to express once a day from about 3 weeks then i found iwasnt using the milk so stopped expressing but got mastitus. So i started expressing once a day again on a morning when my breasts are at there fullest.

The only problem is i dont use this milk i've expressed, i've frozen some but i have 60oz stored now 'just incase' and throw the rest away. Can i wean myself of this expressing session? and if so how? I really dont want to get mastitus again by just stopping.

My 9 week old sleeps for 6 hours on a night around 12am til 6am so when he wakes both my books are REALLY full, hard and very very lumpy! he'll feed of right side and then wake around 7.30 and feed of the right side again. About 9am he'll finally go on left side and then i'll express at 10am and get about 5 - 6oz out. I really encourage him to feed ona morning as i'm so full but he's never that bothered and if he does take any more he often sicks it back up.Is there anyway i can stop expressing or am i stuck with it now til bf is over?

Default Re: Created an oversupply, help me stop it!

You can slowly ease back the pumping. Cut back a few minutes every few days until you are comfortable not pumping. Like if you currently pump 20 minutes only pump 17 minutes for the next 3 days, the pump 15 minutes for 3 days, etc. Also you don't have to throw away excess milk you can donate it.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Well this morning I manged to get him to empty one breast but thew other hadn't been touched for 9hrs so as u can imagine was painful! I don't actually pump for a set amount of time should I do this? I stopped pumping today at 3.5oz I think I could of pumped loads more but this was the point when my breeast didn't feel engorged. I plan on trying t get just 3.5 oz for a few days n then cut this down, does this sound ok? How long will it take my breasts to adjust?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pinkyp View Post
    Well this morning I manged to get him to empty one breast but thew other hadn't been touched for 9hrs so as u can imagine was painful! I don't actually pump for a set amount of time should I do this? I stopped pumping today at 3.5oz I think I could of pumped loads more but this was the point when my breeast didn't feel engorged. I plan on trying t get just 3.5 oz for a few days n then cut this down, does this sound ok? How long will it take my breasts to adjust?
    Sounds good to me. Instead of cutting down by pumping time like PP suggested, you could cut down based on if your feel engorged and/or in pain like you are doing. This sounds ok to me. This is what I did also to decrease my oversupply. To completely wean from this pumping session... may take a few weeks. Like PP said, to adjust from each time your lower your pumping time or relief from engorgement, I'd give it at minimum three days to see a drop in supply. So 3.5 oz for a few days... then maybe go down to 2.5-3 oz for a few days...
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!