Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hospital visit :(

Default Hospital visit :(

Earlier this evening, my DD vomited out forcefully more than I even knew could fit in her stomach. It looked like a puddle an adult would produce. I was terrified, and my pediatrician wouldn't answer her after-hours phone!

So we took her to the hospital and they made sure she was no temp, good hunger, etc etc. Finally they released us with an order for an abdominal ultrasound to rule out an obstruction in the bowel. The nurse also said that since she tends to gag for no reason on occasion, she could have GURD.

I am so tired and worried about my little girl. Have any of you had experiences with either of these stomach problems in your baby? How are they treated and how do you handle them?

Default Re: Hospital visit :(

the lll web site has a few good pages about gerd.
    Just serch the main page.
    nursing is best for a baby with probems, now mater what some doctor might tell you!

I just wanted to say good luck....I don't have any experience but it's nice to know that people read your post and are pulling for you I hope she just has a tummy virus or something that resolves quickly. It's so hard to be worried about your baby's health or wellbeing.

I am pretty sure this is normal. My friend's babies projectile vomitted every now and then and they are healthy, thriving childen now. I think I have also read you have OALD. Is that correct? In which case, the spitting up can be worse.
    Or as the PP said, maybe it's a virus.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html had this to say

Some causes of excessive spitting up

Breastmilk oversupply or forceful let-down (milk ejection reflex) can cause reflux-like symptoms, and usually can be remedied with simple measures.
    Food sensitivities can cause excessive spitting. The most likely offender is cow's milk products (in baby's or mom's diet). Other things to ask yourself: is baby getting anything other than breastmilk - formula, solids (including cereal), vitamins (fluoride, iron, etc.), medications, herbal preparations? Is mom taking any medications, herbs, vitamins, iron, etc.?
    Babies with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) usually spit up a lot (see below).
    Although seldom seen in breastfed babies, regular projectile vomiting in a newborn can be a sign of pyloric stenosis, a stomach problem requiring surgery. It occurs 4 times more often in boys than in girls, and symptoms usually appear between 3 and 5 weeks of age. Newborns who projectile vomit at least once a day should be checked out by their doctor.

Try not worry. I know that is hard to do. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mia'sMom; October 22nd, 2006 at 08:27 AM.

My LO has GERD. She was diagnosed with it at 1.5 months (she is now 6 months). Our ped put her on Prevacid (solutabs) and it seems to be working. We attempted to take her off it--our ped suggested trying to take her off of it every so often to determine when she has outgrown this condition, but the last time we tried, we found that she had not. Don't worry (I know it is easier said than done), I'm sure everything will be fine. If nothing else, you will just have to put up with some excess spitting up--we do it every day!

I am sorry that you had to go to the hospital. Being a new mommy is wonderful and scary at the same time and I relate to so many of your posts! I wanted to reassure you that spitting up is normal and sometimes it will seem like way to much...I had these exact same concerns!!http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=6017
    I know you just want what is best for your LO and I probobly would have done the same as you!! Just try to relax and not be to stressed out {{HUGS}} to you!! It seems like lately you have been pretty worried about your LO...did the DR. think everything was okay?? I noticed that Wyatt went a few days where I didn't think he would keep anything down and then he went back to just spitting up little bit here and there. Just keep an eye on it (which I know you do). I hope you are getting some rest!!

When my DD was a newborn, she had a few episodes of projectile vomiting rather large amounts. We never really determined the cause, but it cleared up on its own. It was more likely to happen when she was fussing or coughing already (she's still a drama queen ). I think it was maybe just an immature gag reflex or possibly she was getting too much foremilk.
    It IS scary to see so much vomit come out of a little baby, and certainly follow up with your doctor. But also know that it may not be as bad as you think. I hope you find the cause or the problem resolves itself.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My DD also threw up very large quantities a few times. One morning she threw up multiple times in a row - it just kept coming! I was really scared too; I took her temperature and watched her for other problems. After the next feeding she didn't throw up, and her mood was fine, so I figured no call to the doctor was needed. She has been just fine ever since, so I think it's pretty normal. I understand your anxiety and hope all is well.