Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it to late to get my 7 month old to nurse?

Default Is it to late to get my 7 month old to nurse?

My son was born seven months ago and i was told i had flat nipples that I had to use a nipple shield, which I did. When he was five days old he was hospitalized for jaundice. When he was in the hospital he was given bottles because i wasn't producing enough milk. He got used to having a bottle and wouldn't nurse. As a new mom with no support I started pumping every two hours and never stopped. I would love to get him to nurse now its possible. I really don't want to give up on breast feeding, but I am really tired from pumping all the time. Thanks for your help. I am desperate to not give up.

Default Re: Is it to late to get my 7 month old to nurse?

Have you tried? Do you offer the breast at each feeding? I say try and see what happens. Although not exactly the same, I got my daughter to nurse after 2 months of pumping and bottle feeding. I just kept offering, spent a lot of time naked in bed and was persistent.

This site has some useful information.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

It might be worth trying some of the methods that can be used on these pages trying to coax baby to the breast...

Good luck

I just wanted to say good job for pumping for such a long time! :thumbs. I hope your LO will latch on so you can stay away from the pump.
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

I am so sorry you are going through this! But know, with a little hard work, it is very possible to get baby to latch on. Just a few thoughts, have you tried pumping just a little to stimulate let down, then making sure to have some breast milk on your nipple (for immediate taste) try to latch little one on? Try dream feeding (i.e. with baby near sleep or asleep rub nipple on his lips to stimulate a sucking response or feed while co-sleeping? I hope this helps and best of luck!

This link covers getting a weaned baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"