Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biting Issues and feeling like just hitting the bottle

Default Re: Biting Issues and feeling like just hitting the bottle

Hi and congratulations on your newborn! I'm so sorry you and your wife are having such a difficult time getting started with breastfeeding. You have gotten some great advice here from PP's. I want to second the discussion that constant nursing in a newborn is very normal. With the chomping/latch issue, however, you do want to make sure to keep track of wet and dirty diapers to make sure that baby is getting enough to eat. What is your baby's current diaper output? As you asked about earlier, yes, feeding the baby is the most important thing to consider. However, IF supplemental feeds are needed, there are alternatives to using a bottle which can provide baby the nutrition while avoiding nipple confusion and keeping baby on track to be able to nurse effectively. It sounds from your initial post like you have seen several LC's? It can be very frustrating when you get a bunch of different advice. Was there anyone that you felt comfortable with that you could continue to see/keep in contact with? Supplemental feeds can be given by finger feeder (this is also sometimes used to help train babies to suck), by syringe, by spoon, or by cup. There are feeding cups designed specifically for newborns. When you saw the LC, did she weigh the baby before and after a feed to see how much he was getting? Did anyone suggest a nipple shield? Nipple shields should be used as a last resort since they can sometimes cause problems if not used correctly, but they can be good for babies who are not able to latch. I have seen them used effectively for babies with the "chomping" response. Nipple shields should be used under the supervision of an LC since a proper fit is essential.

In response to your concerns regarding the Zoloft--yes, having to take a medication while nursing can be scary. However, many many medications are considered safe while breastfeeding, and I know several mothers who have taken Zoloft. As someone stated in another thread regarding this same issue, nursing and taking the Zoloft is generally considered to be healthier for the baby than either of the alternatives--continuuing to nurse with a depressed mom or discontinuing breastfeeding. I really hope you ALL start to feel better soon! Keep posting here for support and ideas.

Hello! I am so glad that you found us! Congratulations on the arrival of your dear son! Hopefully we can all find a way to keep your wife breastfeeding him...without the in between step of breast pump and bottle!

Your wife is very lucky to have such a supportive husband! That can make all the difference. And she is very lucky to have been diagnosed with ppd earlier rather than later, as was my experience! I want to remind you for your sake and hers, that ppd is not your wife's fault. It is not something that she did or didn't do...it is a chemical imbalance caused by an abrupt change in hormones following a pregnancy. It did not happen because she lost her ability to cope or is overwhelmed with the arrival of a new baby! I felt this way for a long time, and I think my husband blamed me for it until we both visited my counselor and she described it in great detail.

Zoloft is considered safe to take while breastfeeding. Please take a look at what Dr. Hale has to say about zoloft and breastfeeding here. He is the leading expert on medications and breastfeeding. If she responds anything like I did, you may not notice an immediate change, but remind her that those kinds of meds have to build up before they take full effect.

I want to encourage the two of you to think twice about using a breastpump for all of the reasons mentioned above. Those first six weeks seem endless. We had a colicky baby who got nipple confusion early on because we gave her a bottle...and I never thought I would ever enjoy breastfeeding. We still have our ups and downs, but I stuck it out, and we are both enjoying it! I pump at work...and I would really hate to have to pump anymore than 3 times a day! I did it for a weekend and had to feed dd a bottle...it was exhausting. Much more tiring than just breastfeeding. Please reassure your wife, and reassure yourself, that we have all been right where the two of you are right now. You are not alone.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Just wanted to thank you all for your support, unfortunately we can no longer breastfeed due to the fact my wife has been diagnosed with the rare Post Partum Psychosis. She wanted to get help and that made it easier for me. She is currently in the Hospital and receiving treatment. If anyone knows anything about this disorder I would greatly appreciate the information. By the way my hats are off to the single moms I don't know how you all do it. I guess that is why men do not have babies. J/k Thos god news is the baby is a month old tomorrow and is doing great. We have enough stored up breast milk to get us by for a few more days so he did get the nutrients during what I think is the most important stage of development. My wife truly wanted to make it to the year mark but with her new meds that is not going to happen. Once again thanks.

I am so sorry that your family is experiencing this...I know how hard it was for my dh before I was diagnosed and treated for ppd. I can't imagine what you are going through, but know that you, your wife, and son will be in my heart, and in my prayers. Take care of that precious little being, Daddy!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I'm so sorry to hear that your wife's condition has worsened so dramatically. My thoughts will be with all three of you.

Some resources that mention postpartum psychosis from the LLL website:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBSepOct01p192a.html

(This review of an audiotape doesn't mention where to find the tape; if you have problems locating it, let us know and I will try to help.)

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep05p75.html

(This is a quite recent article, written for LLL Leaders, that discusses some of the complexities underlying PPD. I'm including it here b/c it discusses some overlap between severe PPD and bipolar disorder, with psychotic episodes as one symptom the two may have in common.)

Postpartum psychosis is well beyond the expertise of most LLL Leaders; I have no specialized information to offer you. I am very glad to hear that your wife is receiving the care she needs, and I sincerely hope that she will soon be recovered and able to come home to her family. This must be a terrifying time for all of you.

The first post by DJ's mom was very helpful for me as a new mom too.
    Carson's Daddy - since it may not be on the top of your wife's list I want to thank you for her - for supporting her. I have only been in these forums for a short period of time but it is nice to see a father trying to find help you his wife and little one. I am having many of the same problems and please just let your wife know she is not alone. Please continue be strong for her and I wish you all the best. If you decide to pump it does not rule out breastfeeding. You may have one of the many babies that can go back and forth between breast and bottle (but I will agree pumping is a time killer - I do both because of the same problems your wife is having). Breastfeeding does not equal a good mom. I have had a Very Hard time getting this thought my mind and I still struggle with it. Would wife is a good mom and you are a good dad - no matter how you feed your baby!

I wish you the best and my thoughts are with you.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk