Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping, STTN, & Working Nights

Default Pumping, STTN, & Working Nights

Hi! I have an EBF six week old. I will be returning to work in a week She usually sleeps in a 3.5 hour stretch and then a 4 hour stretch. I wake her for at least one of those (I've gone longer and woken up with bowling ball breasts!). She nurses on one side only, because I think I had an OALD in the beginning and started doing that to compensate and that's just what we do now (I go in 2 hour blocks if she's nursing more than every 3 hours for some reason).

Im concerned because I will be working two midnight shifts: 12a-8a and two evening shifts 3p-11p. I'm going to tell DH not to wake the baby for a bottle during the midnights and to just let her set the pace. My question is this:

1) if I'm supposed to mimic DD's eating patterns while pumping and DD only eats once during the night, should I only pump once at work? Or should I continue with every 3.5 hours, which will be two pumping sessions?
    I'm thinking pump twice, to ensure I have enough milk for the next night?

2) Since she only nurses from one side, should I only pump one side during a pump session, alternating sides?

3) I'll be home the other five nights a week, so should I continue to wake her on the nights I'm home or just let her sleep? Should I pump once like I would at work? I'd like to do one or the other (let her sleep or wake her) regardless of whether I'm home or not just so there is some kind of routine, even if DD is the one setting it/changing it.

Im just nervous about letting her STTN or wake on her own because of the engorgment issue (I hate engorgement!! agggh!) and I dont want to mess with my supply at the same time as getting used to going to work. And Im sure Im hopelessly over-complicating this! TIA, you ladies are great

Default Re: Pumping, STTN, & Working Nights

no advice to offer, but am interested in any replies
    I go back to work in 11 days and also work nights (2 nights one week, 3 nights the next)
    my baby will only be 4 weeks old my first day back
    Jenna, momma to Lillian (1/1/11)
    Cosleeping, cloth diapering
    milk donated to date: 3182 ounces

haha me too! I think what I'm going to do is try and nurse around 11p and then pump the side she didn't nurse at 2:30a and the other side at 5:30a an hopefully nurse when I return home or I'll have to pump again. I will let her sleep at night and still pump one side every four hours.

Unless someone has any other advice

So does anyone have any advice? My LO is seven weeks old and right now is still sleep--that's 5.5 hours for her. I don't know if I should wake her or go pump one side or what. And now I'm really confused about what to do at work

Feed her before I go and pump one side at like 5:30a when I work nights? I really don't want to create an OS issue because like I said (I think) I had the choking and sputtering issue beforehand. And of course if I can sleep when I'm home that's what I'd like to do. I'm really confused and not looking forward to going to work =\

I have a 4 month old and work 12 hour nights. She only nurses on one side per feeding also. DD pretty much sleeps through the night (for the most part) but she goes to day care during the day for 5 hrs while I sleep so she needs milk there. I pump 3-4x while I am at work and I pump both sides. If you end up having extra milk, you can always freeze it. HTH!