Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide whether to wean or wait

Default Trying to decide whether to wean or wait

Hello,

I'm after advice and support to help me decide whether and when to wean. I've exclusively breastfed my baby who's six months old with no problems but I'm really starting to feel the pressure from family, health professionals and other mums to wean now. But I don't want to. My baby girl is heavy for her age (91st percentile) and is satisfied with her feeds although I do feed her frequently (every 4-5 hours). I was told by my community midwife that I have a 'window of opportunity' to introduce solids or I'll have a fussy eater who won't develop speech muscles properly. I seem to be the only mum in my circle who hasn't given solids yet so was hoping mums here would be able to offer advice on what their experiences have been and whether I am going to damage my child by not weaning yet - am I just being selfish?

Default Re: Trying to decide whether to wean or wait

Are you talking about introducing solids? Or stopping breast feeding?

You don't have to wean in order to introduce solids. Up until your baby is one year old breastmilk should be his/her major source of nutrition, solids are for exploration and fun. The AAP currently recommends breastfeeding for at least a year and the WHO recommends 2 years.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Solid food are for experimentation only until baby is 12 months old or older. There is no need to rush solids. Some indicators that baby is ready for solids is that he/she is sitting up on his/her own, has the pincer grasp, and the gag reflex is diminishing. Another is if he/she seems interested in what's on your plate.

It is certainly not necessary, nor is it recommended, to stop breastfeeding when you intro solids.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I am thinking she means wean as in introduce solids.

You can introduce solids in a slow and fun way for your LO.

OP - nursing every four or five hours seems to be working for you guys, but I wouldn't call that "frequently". That is more a minimal amount of nursing sessions I think.
    with it all. A lot of mamas around here refer to weaning as introducing solids, not necessarily to stop nursing.

And every 4-5 hours is NOT too frequently, Mama. At eight months your baby should still be nursing on demand, and if that's every TWO hours, so be it. I have a one year old who still nurses more frequently than every four to five hours when I'm home.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I am thinking she means wean as in introduce solids.

You can introduce solids in a slow and fun way for your LO.

OP - nursing every four or five hours seems to be working for you guys, but I wouldn't call that "frequently". That is more a minimal amount of nursing sessions I think.
    100% with everything above. Especially in re frequency: at 6 months, a 4-5 hour interval between nursing sessions is on the very low end of the frequency spectrum. Is your baby spontaneously going that long without nursing, or have you been encouraging longer intervals?

You might want to search this forum for threads on "Baby Led Solids" or "BLS." It's a no spoon, no pressure, fun approach that allows your baby to control what and how much she puts into her own mouth.

Will you damage your child's ability to speak by not starting solids yet? No. Will you miss the window of opportunity? No. Will your baby become a fussy eater? Maybe, maybe not- but either way I wouldn't chalk it up to what you do regarding solids. There are babies who get solids early who become fussy, and babies who don't who go on to become great eaters.
    IMHO, the thing you're missing out on by delaying solids beyond the 6 month point is fun, and lots of it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree that you can go either way. We waited until baby was showing signs of readiness that have been mentioned. 6 months is the minimum for when solids should be introduced (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of) but that doesn't mean that you have to start then if baby isn't ready.

And no one here would encourage you to wean as in replacing nursing with solids or formula. It sounds like things are going well. Continue to listen to your gut and follow baby's lead and you'll both do just fine

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

You should be looking to nurse your child for AT LEAST a year. Any health care professional who is suggesting other wise is doing so against the advice of both the AAP and WHO. Keep going. Even when you start solids, keep nursing. The AAP is going to change their recommendation to two years.

Way too lazy for formula

I think the OP is in Britain from the sounds of it. I wonder what the recommendations are there. I think they have even worse BF rates there than in the US, and I can imagine why if that's the kind of advice given by health workers.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    The AAP is going to change their recommendation to two years.
    Are they really? That's great!
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting