Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All kinds of worries.

Default Re: All kinds of worries.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wadley View Post
    I agree with the other posters when they said to try to get DH to get up with baby at night!! . He might get a new perspective on co sleeping! Not only will you sleep with better and more with baby next to you but he probably will too. I know my boyfriend though our DD slept all night, but he just slept thru all her little wake ups.

Good luck follow your instincts, don't second guess yourself
    yes. my DH was dead set against kids in our bed or room. I then told him to get up all hours of the night to get out of bed and go to the kids rooms tend for the kids when they wake crying, etc...and guess where my kids are? One in my bed (since 4) the ohter right next to my bed (since a newborn). We all sleep much better this way!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*khall05 View Post
    I am just thinking you and your baby may be able to sleep more if you spent sometime in the same bed. I have watched my son open his eyes in a panic, but then reach out, touch me or look at me, then he goes right back to sleep. If he had been alone in bed, he would have fully woken.
    ^^yes, this. My husband and I were not planning to cosleep, but first of all, once the baby was here it just felt natural and right. And I fully believe if you have a frequent waker, it absolutely maximizes sleep for all. Would your dh be willing to have a portable crib next to your side of the bed? Then as you bring the baby into bed to feed he may relax a bit and not worry when the in-bed portion gets gradually longer
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I wanted to add too that weaning doesn't mean that they are magicly going to sleep!

Hang in there!

Formula may be fortified with iron but it is not as easily digested as the iron in breastmilk.

Breastmilk is and always will be the best for babies. No matter how far formula comes it is not a living substance that changes throughout a child's life to meet his/her specific needs.

Sleep is a concern with every parent because our society has all parents thinking our babies should STTN after only a few weeks of life. That just isn't the case. You need to find something that works for your family so everyone can get more sleep. If your DH isn't ok with co-sleeping he should be the one that gets your LO out of bed and bring to you to nurse then takes her back to her bed when your done. That's how I showed DH that cosleeping was much better for all of us with our first. Since that first few nights there has never been an issue with our children sleeping with us. Once he realized he didn't have to wake at all because our babies never cried when sleeping with us he was over it. Men like sleep more than we do!

Good luck Mama!
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Many thanks to all who replied!

I came to the right place for my much-needed pep talk! I think these issues have been especially hard because my daughter is in day care now, and I am the only mom (of eight mothers there) who still breastfeeds. The other babies, who range in age from six months to 14 months, were weaned or at least given some formula many months ago. It seems like they don't have the sleep issues we do, but it is probably a coincidence, or I don't know their full stories.

As for the sleep issue, I do feel a little better today since I've spent a couple of nights in the baby's room. We did that before, until she was about 4 months old. DH, who adores our kid, has even spent some long nights on a mattress in the floor, too. It hasn't changed his mind about co-sleeping, though.

The co-worker who referred us to this sleep consultant promises she won't recommend CIO if that's not the route we want to take. It's not like I want to wean my daughter off of all night feedings, but I just can't get up every hour or two every night, then go to work the next day, KWIM? Even every three or four hours would be fine with me.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes with the consultant (figure we can hear what she has to say but don't have to go with it). I suspect that I'll end up sleeping in baby's room to get everyone some rest.

Thank you again for your replies. It's just such a relief to know I'm not alone.

I didn't start out cosleeping and was pretty dead set against it.. but I am a NICU nurse and all I ever hear/have to teach parents is how dangerous it is.. risk of SIDS.. blah blah blah. But to be honest, when my son was about 6 months old and outgrew the pack n play with the comfy little bassinette on top and then outgrew the swing... he would wake up crying everytime I laid him down in his crib.. I started cosleeping. (Yes, against all the rules..) and the world hasn't ended lol. I am safe about it though. I sleep SO MUCH BETTER NOW.. and so does my son.
    DH doesn't like it, but we work opposite shifts so we are rarely all in bed together. That helps that fight lol.

Oh.. and I think the reason the kids at daycare sleep through the night may have something to do with their moms giving them a huge bottle of formula right before bed (9 oz bottle=baby thanksgiving dinner!!) and then that formula takes like twice as long to digest.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09