Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply gone? Still problems...

Default Oversupply gone? Still problems...

Breastfeeding was going smoothly for the first three weeks. Then my daughter started rejecting the second breast at a few feeds. I then developed mastitis pretty badly one weekend and thought it was caused by her not emptying both breasts at each feed. I started pumping the other breast that wasn't being used at each feeding fearing that I would get mastitis again. Then problems started happening. I believe I must have had oversupply from the beginning because I always had an OALD and of course she was satisfied sometimes with just one breast. I think I made it worse by pumping. So I read some of the articles on this site and determined I had OS and started block feeding (one breast offered at each feeding). That was two weeks ago.

Since then I have had an extremely fussy baby who spits up and occasionally has slimy stools (mostly yellow) and will not sleep very well anymore (she slept fairly well during the day and only up twice at night before). I started cutting out dairy and I think it helped a little so far, but now she is waking up to eat every two hours or so (sometimes less)! I am wondering if my oversupply problem is under control and I should go back to using both sides. She seems content with one side, although she only eats for about 10-12 minutes, and sometimes when I try to offer the second breast she acts like she doesn't want it. I often have to work to get her to take it. But we are waking around the clock to eat and I don't think that is right for a two-month old baby.

Right now I am worried she is not getting healthy sleep because the rest of the household certainly isn't. The doctor just says she is growing good so not to worry. I am very worried.

So my questions are
    1. Is oversupply corrected if baby wants to eat so often (waking out of sleep crying uncontrollably)?

2. Should I continue to take her off at let-downs as to avoid gas, hiccups, etc.? If so do I need to do it for each let down in a feeding? I often have about three.

3. How do I know if oversupply or food sensitivity is the problem?

Please help! Thank you!

Default Re: Oversupply gone? Still problems...

[QUOTE=@llli*anamom;1068166]Breastfeeding was going smoothly for the first three weeks. Then my daughter started rejecting the second breast at a few feeds. I then developed mastitis pretty badly one weekend and thought it was caused by her not emptying both breasts at each feed. I started pumping the other breast that wasn't being used at each feeding fearing that I would get mastitis again. Then problems started happening. I believe I must have had oversupply from the beginning because I always had an OALD and of course she was satisfied sometimes with just one breast. I think I made it worse by pumping. So I read some of the articles on this site and determined I had OS and started block feeding (one breast offered at each feeding). That was two weeks ago.

Since then I have had an extremely fussy baby who spits up and occasionally has slimy stools (mostly yellow) and will not sleep very well anymore (she slept fairly well during the day and only up twice at night before). I started cutting out dairy and I think it helped a little so far, but now she is waking up to eat every two hours or so (sometimes less)! I am wondering if my oversupply problem is under control and I should go back to using both sides. She seems content with one side, although she only eats for about 10-12 minutes, and sometimes when I try to offer the second breast she acts like she doesn't want it. I often have to work to get her to take it. But we are waking around the clock to eat and I don't think that is right for a two-month old baby.

Right now I am worried she is not getting healthy sleep because the rest of the household certainly isn't. The doctor just says she is growing good so not to worry. I am very worried.

So my questions are
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*anamom View Post
    1. Is oversupply corrected if baby wants to eat so often (waking out of sleep crying uncontrollably)?
    Depends. If baby keeps bfing more then it stimulates the body to increase it's supply. But I'm 20mths out and my OS is still not completely controlled. If DD nursed a lot from both sides (especially during growth spurts and teething) it's out of control. I still have to blockfeed. As far as waking up crying, at this young age I think it's just that she wants mama comfort. She may be going through a growth spurt. My DD would become extra "needy" (wanting to be at the breast 24-7) and clingy during these times.

2. Should I continue to take her off at let-downs as to avoid gas, hiccups, etc.? If so do I need to do it for each let down in a feeding? I often have about three.
    If you have OS and she's showing those 'symptoms', and her poops are greenish, then I would. And yes, for every letdown is best since it comes out so fast that it can cause baby to choke on the milk and swallow lots of air, sometimes causing spit ups. Especially if you're having that many letdowns. That may be why she's refusing the 2nd breast, because she's full of air and uncomfortable, not necessarily full. As far as how much time she spends at the breast, it's different per child depending on how efficient they are at removing the milk and how fast/slow mama's milk comes out.

3. How do I know if oversupply or food sensitivity is the problem?
    If it's OS, once you start blockfeeding for a couple of days (sometimes change is apparent in a couple of feedings) then more than likely it's OS.
    If your diet hasn't changed, and your DD started exhibiting these changes then more than likely it's not a food sensitivity or something you're eating. I personally had to stop eating oatmeal (because it increases supply), pumping, and taking my iron & pre-natal vitamins because it would cause DD to react to them, but then again she also had reflux

At this young age, no sleep pattern is "right". Their sleep patterns change constantly. My 20 month old DD STILL doesn't have a sleep pattern. We co-slept for several months and sometimes still do just to get some adequate sleep around here. If she's working on a milestone or developmental change, her sleep is completely off: sometimes more, sometimes less unless at the breast. I just go with flow and read her cues.
    At that young age I started wearing DD constantly throughout the day for her to feel security, reassured and comfort. That could be an option for you mama. Many times I'd be carrying DD in her sling while I did things around the house and she'd get a good sleep. The better they sleep during the day, the better they'll sleep at night. If they get overly tired they will not sleep well.

Hang in there mama. Every day will be different so for it to be less stressful, don't count on every day being a routine or clock work. Just go with the flow and follow babies lead/cues.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...