Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article touting studies that say its okay to start at 4 months.

Default Article touting studies that say its okay to start at 4 months.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110114...esearchbritain

Thoughts?

The study doesn't mention each babies birth. An induced baby may not have the same iron stores as a baby that came naturally. This can result in anemia later on. They also make no mention of the fact that breastmilk flavours change depending on Mother's diet. So a breastfed baby actually has a varied palate without any solids at all.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Article touting studies that say its okay to start at 4 months.

D is now 4 months old and I couldn't even imagine giving him solids (and really, I'm not one of those "my baby is so young, little, fragile" type of moms). I guess it's not required, but I just feel like a baby should be sitting up first. Have full head, back and neck control to maneuver swallowing something with substance. I waited for MK to be 9 months old, although she was 2 months early so that was part of the wait. I don't know, I'm in no rush.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I took issue with this line:

On the issue of allergies, the British study said researchers in Sweden found that the incidence of early onset coeliac disease increased after a recommendation to delay introduction of gluten until age six months, "and it fell to previous levels after the recommendation reverted to four months".

Celiac isn't an allergy.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    I took issue with this line:

On the issue of allergies, the British study said researchers in Sweden found that the incidence of early onset coeliac disease increased after a recommendation to delay introduction of gluten until age six months, "and it fell to previous levels after the recommendation reverted to four months".

Celiac isn't an allergy.
    Its genetic right? So you either have it or you don't.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danlynclark View Post
    Its genetic right? So you either have it or you don't.
    Yes, it is genetic. I think what they mean here is that the disease gets "activated" sooner or whatever. A person has Celiac because of genetics but some event will trigger the symptoms. DH was asymptomatic until he was 29. It's an auto-immune disorder, not an allergy, so I feel like they are confusing things by making that statement. That inaccuracy puts the rest of the article in doubt for me.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I just don't think that babies starting solids eat--and absorb enough of what they eat--to have a big effect on their bodies. Just my personal, possibly ignorant opinion.

DD has always been a big eater, for a baby/toddler, and she's always been tiny. My friend's son is the same age (two), still doesn't like solids, and mostly depends on breast milk, and he is a big, very healthy looking boy. Makes me feel like even toddlers don't really take in much of what they eat.

I didnt start allie on solids till she was 11 months. She was a frequent nurser, never lost any weight always gained and she always looked healthy.

FROM 4 months on i was giving her tastes of things, but she didnt have an actual "meaL" in a highchair until 11 months old.

I just wanted to nurse her exclusively as long as i could.. and i was personally scared to go past a yr without "meals" so i started at 11 months.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

I always try and figure out what the sourse is for stuff like that if its written by a baby food company then yeah they want your baby eating jars and jars of their foods...

I Figured when they had teeth and could get food into their mouth on their onwn then they were ready to eat...

I followed the 4 month stuff with my oldest 20+ years ago and he's pretty healthy

Here is the link to how I read the article, from the Guardian newspaper;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...ies-scientists

There a couple of things that really bother me about this article. The first thing is, why is it only breastfeeding that is being singled out as possibly being insufficient for babies past four months? What about formula fed babies? Do they not exclusively get formula for the first six months? Why isn't the article about milk, regardless of source, responsible for an increase of alergies, etc?

The second thing that concerns me about the report is that, according to the link that I have provided above, three of the four authors of this report has received funding and/or have done consulancy work for formula companies.

I EBF for the first six months and started my daughter with BLW as she was showing all the signs of being ready, the biggest one being her taking food off of my own plate while I was trying to have my lunch! She has had EVERYTHING, including peanut butter and prawns and we have never encountered any issue at all. I know we're only one story out of millions, but just how exactly do people think the human race has survived before formula companies came on the scene, and before so called experts have told us when to begin solids? I have a hard time believing that exclusively breastfeeding for six months is the culprit to so many allergies. Just my two cents worth.
    I'm Terri, a Canadian living in England.

Married my soul mate in September, 2008 and share the same wedding anniversary as my parents and grandparents.

Mommy to S born 19/03/2010 and to Z 01/11/2011

We always, and we love as much as possible.

"When you're moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star" - Stevie Wonder, Jammin'