Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 weeks old-still need to wake every 2 hours to feed?

Default 4 weeks old-still need to wake every 2 hours to feed?

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here, but I have a 4 week old son who has been EBF since birth. He was 8lbs 1 oz at birth and weighed in at 9 lbs 10 oz at 2 1/2 weeks, so he's gaining weight just fine. When I left the hospital, they told me that I should be feeding him every 2-2 1/2 hours during the day (waking him to eat) and every 3-4 hours at night. I keep hearing about feeding on demand, but do you still wake your newborn to eat if he's been sleeping for too long? If he's sleeping, how often should I wake him during the day? He wakes on his own every 3-4 hours at night. I don't want to over feed him, but I do want to make sure he's getting enough and that my milk supply stays steady.

Also-when is a newborn no longer a newborn? I keep reading "in the early weeks" or "in the first few weeks." Just curious.

Thank you!

Default Re: 4 weeks old-still need to wake every 2 hours to feed?

I have the same question, lol. I feed DD on demand, but shes been going on 3 hours almost for this nap and I am uncomfortable!

my Lo is 5 weeks old and i do not wake him for feedings anymore, he has gone 4.5 hrs at night and since he is gaining weight fine, i do not feel the need to wake him. since your babies are gaining weight well also, i would not worry anymore about waking them to feed, if you are uncomfortable, you can handexpress some milk to release pressure. I think healthy babies know how much they need and there comes a time, when a mom should be able to sleep as long as baby and not having to disrupt the sleep of both.

Hmm, I think the key you identified is waking to 'feed' because bfing is much more than just getting nutrients and slaking hunger.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

Here's one of my favourite articles on infant sleep:
    http://www.drjen4kids.com/soap%20box/sleep%20stuff.htm
    "If you've ever seen what baby elephants or horses can do at birth, you know that they can walk shortly after birth, and are running soon afterwards. Why can't humans do that? Well, if we waited until the brain was mature enough for our kids to walk, the baby's head would be too big to come out safely. We don't need to run to stay safe. Our gestation period is designed to make sure that our kids arrive in the world with their future intact-- our kids arrive in the world when it's safest for the brain to come out.

Our children arrive in the world as the most neurologically immature primate of them all, and remain the most dependent on a caregiver for the longest period of time. Our kids can't keep themselves warm, get food, walk, speak, or reason. They can't manipulate us and they can't consciously choose to make you look like a bad parent.

What do we know about their sleep patterns? Well, they need to be near a caregiver-- mostly mom. It makes sense if you think about it. This immature baby, with little in the way of self-preservation skills, needs to hang out with the source of food and warmth, with the person who is most likely to wake up to meet the needs that they express in the middle of the night."

So baby might just be saying, mama, I don't feel right all alone. Where are you? --It makes sense, since LO was connected and surrounded by you all the time for his entire existence minus the last few weeks!

I'm just trying to encourage you by saying yes, this is normal and it happens. Baby will grow out of it on his own as his sleep cycles mature. Try to look at it from your helpless newborn's side why he asks for mama. Bfing is comfort, love, security, and nourishment. This big ol' world is scary for someone just fresh from the womb.

But mama, if it's draining you and you need to mak a few limits, do that, that's a whole lot more healthy to give yourself a parenting break when you need it than get problems from burnout, PPD, etc. Go with your heart and see what is best.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I have never woke one of my children up to eat. However they were all born with no health issues to warrant me absolutely needing to. My older two were bottle fed within the first 4 weeks because I was unsuccessful in BFing. My youngest however I have managed to make it through and is now 16 months old and still bfing. She wakes up every 1 1/2 to 4 hours at night to nurse(we are still cosleeping most of the night) and there are days where she nurses just as frequently even after eating solids. Babies sleep schedules change as they grow, just when you have it down they change it on you. Also my dd would only nurse for 5-10 minutes at a time for the first few months of age. NOW she is on for almost 30 minutes sometimes. Do what you feel is best for your baby, your mommy instincts will lead you.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

If your baby is having plenty of wet diapers and gaining weight adequately, and your milk supply is fine, there is generally no need to wake up during the night hours to feed him/her.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    If your baby is having plenty of wet diapers and gaining weight adequately, and your milk supply is fine, there is generally no need to wake up during the night hours to feed him/her.
    you want to see 6-8 wet diapers and at least one good dirty dipe in a 24 hour period. If you're seeing it come out then I don't wake a sleeping baby.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Congrats on your LO
    I agree what the pp, if your LO is gaining weight, has enough wet/dirty diapers, then let'em sleep. You really can't overfeed a baby. They'll let you know when they're full, and start rooting when it's time for a feeding, for the most part. All babies are different. As newborns, they sometimes just want to suckle for comfort (especially during growth spurts) and are not really removing milk, so it may seem like they've been "eating" for hrs, but that's really not the case.
    If you feel like your supply is decreasing and/or your LO doesn't have the adequate # of diapers/24hr, then you can always do a number of things to increase your supply. Just remember to relax, keep hydrated, eat & rest plenty
    I think "newborn" is considered up to one month, then infants after that, from what I remember.
    Follow your mama instinct and your baby's cues
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

My LO was nursing every 2 hours, even at night - occasionally stretching to 3 at night, until he was about 8 weeks old. Then all of a sudden, he gave me some 4 hour stretches, and then randomly - around 9 weeks old he slept 7-8 hours at night. My mother and MIL both told me all along I needed to stop nursing on demand if I ever wanted a baby who would sleep. I never listened to them - when my son gave me a cue, he was on the boob, even if he had just nursed 20 minutes ago. Point is - if baby has enough output and is thriving, then let him be the guide.

Also, I wondered about the newborn thing too and tried to research it...most of the information I found suggested that a baby is a newborn up to 12 weeks/3 months, at which point they are considered an infant. I think some will hit that point a little sooner and some a little later, but I would say it sounds like an appropriate guideline. My LO is now 11 weeks old and has fewer and fewer newborn characteristics every day.