Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with increasing milk supply to store

Default Help with increasing milk supply to store

My baby is 6 weeks old and I am wanting to nurse till he is 6 months old and have enough milk stored for another 6 months is this possible? I am having a hard time with finding a times to pump I'm afraid there won't be anything left for him to eat..I can pump anywhere from 2-5 ozs at a time. Should I only be pumping after he has nursed? Just need someone to tell me what to do...I am determined to make this work! Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Help with increasing milk supply to store

I'm not quite sure I grasp what you want. Do you want to
    a) nurse for a year, with a six month supply of expressed milk in the fridge for emergencies, or
    b) nurse for 6 months, then wean your baby from the breast but continue to feed expressed milk until the 1 year mark?

Both are possible, and both have advantages and drawbacks. One of the biggest drawbacks of option b is that if you have a big power outage and your freezer stash defrosts, or your milk has a lipase issue which makes the stash unpalatable, you have no back-up option.

Anyway, if you can tell us what your plans are we can figure out how best to help you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I want to do b.I guess I have no idea what lipase is..how will I know?thanks

Lipase is an enzyme that cause the milk to go yucky (for want of a better word) when it is stored. More info here

Why do you want to do B? It might be possible but it will be VERY hard work and there are risks. Maybe we can help you find another solution that is easier and still meets your needs.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Why do you want to do B? It might be possible but it will be VERY hard work and there are risks. Maybe we can help you find another solution that is easier and still meets your needs.
    In general we're kind of lazy around here, and we want to help other mamas be lazy, too. Which is why we'd love to help you avoid option B, if possible. It's so much more work than option A!

But if you're really wedded to the idea of option B, or have a good medical reason why you need to wean at 6 months, here's what I suggest to make your plan possible:
    1. Nurse as much as possible.
    2. Pump as much as possible. Every time your baby nurses, pump immediately afterwards.
    3. Use a very high-quality pump- I'm thinking Medela Pump in Style or hospital-grade rental- with properly sized breastshields.
    4. As soon as you begin storing your milk, start checking your stash for lipase issues. Make sure you do this periodically, because lipase issues can come and go.
    5. Make sure you have a really good freezer, plus a back-up plan for what you will do if the power goes out. (Dry ice? Friend with a generator?)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"