Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 month old eating less than normal

Default 3 month old eating less than normal

My DS normally eats 5.5 ounces per feeding, 6 feedings per day. Suddenly he does not seem interested in eating anymore. He would stops at about 3 to 4 ounces either to cry or to laugh. If I really push it, he might finish almost 5 ounces most. Is it normal at all? I am worried. I thought babies usually eat alot more during growth spurt. Does anyone have the same situation?

Default Re: 3 month old eating less than normal

How old is DS?

What about all the normal output signs? Diaper output? Sleeping patterns change?

See if your doc will let you drop by just for a weighing, since most docs don't do a 3 month checkup. Then weigh again a few days later and see if he's gaining. That will set your mind at ease. Or give you an idea if something is wrong.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

I also wanted to add... Don't push it! Let the baby eat what they want to eat...

When it comes to my son, I bottle feed the same way I would nurse... On demand for as long as he wants to. Some feedings, he finishes a 6 oz bottle without batting an eye and other's, he takes 3 oz and he's done.

5.5 oz seems like an awful lot (I went back and read through your posts...) for a 3 month old... My DS is 7 months old and at most takes 6 oz at a feeding... It just seems like an awful lot.

I like to think of it this way... 1 oz per hour since the last feeding. If it's been 3 hours since DS's last feeding, I aim for him to take at least 3 oz. Have you tried offering less EBM in the bottle and then just letting it go once it's gone (or he stops)? Like I said, I personally treat bottle feeding witht he same care as I would breastfeeding... Follow the babies cues! You can always make more if he's still hungry...

But please, don't push it! It's okay if he doesn't take a whole bottle!

See, the thing is that he had always been eating at least 5 ounces per feeding for the last month and a half, now all the sudden he eats less than what he ate at 1 month old. That worries me. His wet diapers and poop are still in normal range, but less than what it used to be. He is otherwise happy, sleep well (except still waking up 1-3 times during the night to be rocked back to sleep, not to eat). I asked his doctor, he thought my DS might have some sorethroat blah blah blah. 3 hours after feeding, he does not seem to be hungry either even after eating less.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it! AS long as his weight gain is well and he's happy, healthy and meeting milestones, let him set the pace... If he were physically breastfed, you wouldn't be able to see exactly how many oz he took at a feed...

What helped me is to think of the bottle as the breast... I can't see how much milk a baby takes when nursing so I pretend not to see how much milk DS takes when he feeds from the bottle. Cover it if you have to!

He could be ready to move into longer spaces between feeds... I don't have DS on a schedule and sometimes, he goes 5 hours and sometimes only 2... It really varries!

I nursed my baby, so this is only what I heard. You may need to move uo to the next stage teat. If they have to work too hard to get the milk out, they get frustrated and stop. Also. if teething this may affect appetite.HTH

Thank you all for your replies. I have moved on to the next teat and he did better for a few days. It seems like we have bad days and good days, like for the past 2 to 3 days, he ate between 5 and 6 ounces, but today he has been eating only 3 ounces & he does not seem hungry at all. I never thought that I had to worry about him not eating since he always ate alot. It was the other way around where I was afraid to overfeed him. We will see his ped. for a 4 month appt & check his weight then in a couple weeks.