Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What next?

Default What next?

I have a 6 1/2 m. old and I can't produce enough milk while at work- pump 3 times at work and 1 time at 10pm before going to bed and only get 3 ounces TOTAL. I returned to work in October and started off getting 9/10 ounces with no problem. Now that my freezer stash is down to 25 ounces, I see forumula for bottles in my future. I do nurse her at 7am and it is a great feeding and she is able to go to 10:30/11am. My DD does sleep through the night, but even trying to get up at 2am for 2 weeks only gave me another 2 ounces at most at night. I am currently taking 15 pills of fenugreek, tried pumping for 15+ minutes, pumping 5 times a day, drinking more water, relaxing... you name it. Is my body not responding to my pump? I did get my period in late Nov., but my supply dwindled before then. What are my other options before going to all forumla for bottles while I'm gone at work? What can my OB prescribe? Can I do formula during the day and keep my supply up to nurse at 7am and when I get home/ evening feedings? Thanks is advance... I so want to continue nursing, as I only made it 3 m. with my son and I'm determined to figure my body out!
    Mom to son (2/4/08), to daughter (6/28/10) and currently and at work
    Wife to husband (Oct.06)

Default Re: What next?

are you doing any solids?
    Sometimes healthy solids can be used a that age when mom is gone and then you can nurse more often when your together.
    Last edited by @llli*andrea.wolford; January 14th, 2011 at 06:55 AM.

Default Re: What next?

Thanks for the links-it definately made me feel good that I can continue with breastfeeding and know I can do it when I am home and be successful.

Yes, I have introduced solids- oatmeal or rice after 10:30am bottle and then oatmeal or rice with and a veggie after I nurse her at 6:30/7pm (these are the last feedings of the night).

I think I will continue to pump my usual 4 times a day and add what ever I get to the formula I am supplementing with for the two day bottles. I definately have to make sure she is eating, as her growth was not great from 3 to 6 months.

What about the weekends? I know nurse, nurse, nurse, but if I'm only pumping at max 2 ounces, then what is she getting? I know she is more efficient, but should I offer a bottle after I feed since she shows cues of wanting more by crying and being fussy?

Any others suggestions are appreciated! Many thanks!
    Mom to son (2/4/08), to daughter (6/28/10) and currently and at work
    Wife to husband (Oct.06)