Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lost weight and not gaining it back.

Default lost weight and not gaining it back.

Ok so my little one was born 12/30 a healthy 7lbs 13oz. She lost some weight while she was in the hospital, but it was considered well within the normal range. When we went for our 1 week well-baby check up she only weighed 7lbs 4oz. This week at our 2 week check up she barely gained anything and weighed 7lbs 6oz (almost 7oz). She eats generally every 3 hours until she just can't eat anymore. She is having the right amount of dirty and wet diapers so I just don't understand.

I'm concerned that she hasn't gained her birth weight back. The lactation consultant said to wake her up every 2 hours and have her eat, but she just doesn't want to feed that often. When she does she sucks softly only getting a little milk at a time and breast feeding becomes at least an hour long just to try and get her to eat.

Any help, suggestions, similar experiences?

Default Re: lost weight and not gaining it back.

Hi...congrats on the birth of your LO. I don't know if this will help, but with my first child, we had the same problem. I didn't give BF a real try because I was concerned with her weight loss and ended up switching to formula. I would do as the lactation consultant said. Probably you have to go back to the Dr. for weight check-ups, right? I had to like every few days. In the end, the most important thing is your baby's health and if you find you need to switch to formula then so be it. I probably shouldn't say that, but it's how I feel. I just had my 2nd kiddo 2 weeks ago and we are really working at getting BFing right this time around. Best of luck to you. I hope that helps!

Thanks for sharing . I really want breastfeeding to work so I am seeking out anyone I think can help. I scheduled 2 appointments with the lactation consultant for a w-f-w before she has her next weight check. She was wonderful while we were in the hospital so I am hoping seeing her will help make sure I am doing everything I can. Congrats on your little bundle of joy as well!

congrats to you guys!

we are going through the same thing. actually lost weight at her two week appt. now pumping I notice not even getting an ounce with both breasts. we are now supplementing with formula. we cannot figure out why I am not producing enough. she latches perfectly fine, just don't know where my milk is.

Did you have a lot of fluids in labor? That can bump up the birthweight. My son was very sleepy and we had to really encourage his feedings. I had issues with his latch and used a little formula while I was pumping. I saw a LC and got the latch fixed but still had to encourage him to stay awake long enough to eat. Down to his diaper and cold washcloth. It wasn't fun but it worked.

Don't give up, keep working with her. Kellymom.com is a great resource to check out also.
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.

I had problems at first too. My little girl was born 12/7 at 7lbs 11oz. at her two week appt she only weighed 7lbs 4oz. I was very discouraged especially because it seemed that all I was doing was nursing her plus she burps up a lot. I was really frustrated with the lactation consultant because she wasn't giving me anything I didn't already know (this is number 3). I started reading this book called "The nursing mother's companion". This is a life savor. When ever I get discourage I open this up. At face value it seemed that the latch was fine because she was also have the right amount of diapers and emptied the breast at feedings but I made one small tweek to the latch. I made sure I was lining up her nose with the nipple. This plus waking her up to eat (she slept a lot and still sleeps a lot). I had to get her undressed so she was awake enough. Also at night I don't lay down and feed her anymore because both of us were falling asleep before I think she was full and it seemed she was nursing every hour at night. Now I make sure she has eaten as much as possible in the night before laying down. At the three week weigh in she had gained 11oz in one week just by making these small changes. She is five weeks old now but I tell you at 3 weeks I wanted to quit because of the night feeding. now she only wakes up 2 times a night.

We saw an LC again today. It was actually very helpful. She noticed that our daughter was comfort sucking instead of actually feeding. She recommended I start taking Fenugreek, and 9 capsules a day versus the 6 it says to take on the bottle! She also said that I should focus on gaining a better milk supply by not feeding her off the breast for the next 3 to 5 days, but can let her comfort suck a few times a day. Instead, she said I need to pump every 2 hours a day for the next 3 to 5 days, but at night I can sleep when my daughter sleeps, which is about 4 hours. We will give her formula as a supplement when I cannot produce enough milk. But when I got home today, my second pumping did produce 1.5 ozs!! That is more than ever yet! She also said that if this does not work, there is a rx available called Domperidone that can help. Hopefully we will not have to use that, but will find out in a few days!

Yay! Glad to hear it's getting better!