Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning questions

Default Pump weaning questions

OK, I think I'm almost done with the pump...when I went back to work after Christmas break I dropped my sessions from 2x a day to 1x a day. Then I started decreasing the amount of time for that session...by a minute a day. This week I did 5 minutes on Monday, 4 on Tuesday, etc. So tomorrow is Friday and I will pump for 1 minute!

I'm still planning on nursing her at home after work and on the weekends whenever she wants. So what happens when she wants to nurse during the day on Saturday and Sunday? And actually Monday because it's a holiday and she'll be home with me. Is this going to mess up my pump weaning? Like when I go back to work on Tuesday am I going to need to pump because she's been nursing during my usual work hours over the long weekend?

I just don't see how it's going to work...I feel like even if I pump wean but keep nursing then every monday I'm going to be engorged at work...help?
    Mom to Caroline born 01.11.10, a 8 y.o. son and 10 y.o. daughter!

Default Re: Pump weaning questions

do you normally get engorged? I've found that my supply is VERY flexible and totally is determined by Max's needs. He can nurse all weekend long, yesterday we had a snow day - and I don't seem to have a problem with too much milk. But there seems to be enough when i get home

I think it would be different if you're feeling too full, but if not i think you should be fine. I have found that since Max isn't eating much milk when i'm gone during the day, he doesn't actually seem to want to nurse as much during the day, except if I'm here to put him down/wake him from a nap.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Well, this past Monday, when I went down to pumping for only 5 minutes (after nursing for naps and such over the weekend), yes, I was DYING when I got home and *made* her nurse as soon as we got settled.

Tuesday, Wednesday and today I was fine after my decreased pumping sessions. I barely pumped a 1/2 oz today during my 2 minute session. And I was fine till she wanted to nurse when we got home...she played for a while even and didn't want to nurse right away.

Tomorrow I'd probably be fine not even pumping? Maybe? But I'm planning on doing my 1 session for 1 minute.

Caroline doesn't nurse as much during the day either...it's just for her morning nap and her afternoon nap.

I guess I'll just bring my pump to work next Tuesday when I go back in case I'm desperate. But hopefully I'll be done with it...I'm so ready to be done pumping, even though I love still nursing!

I had a hard time just shortening my sessions, so I also pushed it later and later, until I could survive until getting home, kwim? So I started by doing one pump at 1:30, and then I was doing it at 3 p.m., just to take the edge off, etc.

I nurse Joe all weekend, and there is milk. I go back to work on Monday, no engorgement. It's magic!

This did take a month or so of adjustment, where I did have to deal with a little engorgement, but not too bad. Don't let it get to the clogged-duct point, cuz that just sucks. For the first month or two while you are adjusting, you have to play it by ear (play it by boob?).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mhcmom View Post
    Well, this past Monday, when I went down to pumping for only 5 minutes (after nursing for naps and such over the weekend), yes, I was DYING when I got home and *made* her nurse as soon as we got settled.

Tuesday, Wednesday and today I was fine after my decreased pumping sessions. I barely pumped a 1/2 oz today during my 2 minute session. And I was fine till she wanted to nurse when we got home...she played for a while even and didn't want to nurse right away.

Tomorrow I'd probably be fine not even pumping? Maybe? But I'm planning on doing my 1 session for 1 minute.

Caroline doesn't nurse as much during the day either...it's just for her morning nap and her afternoon nap.

I guess I'll just bring my pump to work next Tuesday when I go back in case I'm desperate. But hopefully I'll be done with it...I'm so ready to be done pumping, even though I love still nursing!
    i hear you. I've still been pumping a little bit too, but I really think I'd be fine without any plugged ducts or anything if i stopped. My body has just realized that we don't nurse as much during the day and has stabilized.

I still just nurse on demand and I've found everything to be pretty comfortable. I certainly don't get engorged or uncomfortable at work though, but even when i was pumping three times a day i only got about 12 ounces, so i was never uncomfortable.

Sorry, i guess i'm not that helpful but i think if you're only pumping for one minute a day, you could pretty easily give that up. I certainly wouldn't bother with the whole set up/wash/store for one minute of pumping!! And I also feel like just pumping for that amount of time would give a chance for a let down but not really even get any milk out, which would definitely make me MORE uncomfortable than not pumping at all.

with Julia here. You shouldn't need to pump for one minute, that sounds like a pain. But if you are getting a sore spot, think you have a clogged duct, etc., do pump for several minutes, and massage that spot to try to work it out. I got a really stubborn and difficult clogged duct while I was pump weaning, not fun. But I was always prone to them.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Ladies, you have made my night saying that I don't need to pump for the one minute tomorrow! LOL

Thank you for all of your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mhcmom View Post
    Ladies, you have made my night saying that I don't need to pump for the one minute tomorrow! LOL

Thank you for all of your advice!
    UNLESS you ARE feeling engorged, then you should pump. So bring it with you. If it hurts, pump. But don't pump for just one minute. All the milk will be in your boobs and none will be in the bottles and that will REALLY hurt. Another thing you could try if you're uncomfortable is just hand expressing, especially massaging the spot that's sore. I think that's what I would do at this point.

Update: Friday with no pumping went FINE! I never did get engorged. Yay! Thank you ladies for all your help! I'm so relieved to be rid of that pump...I'm glad I was able to pump for as long as I did, but enough is enough!