Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Breastfeeding Diet

Default Re: The Breastfeeding Diet

I completely agree with everyone - 3 weeks is way too early to worry about weight. I meant 3 1/2 MONTHS - ooooops . Thanks for all the input - I just like to hear everyone's stories.

I dropped weight FAST. I had gained 66 lbs during pregnancy. I lost 45 in the first few week due to water loss -- I had terrible edema. After that, I was within 10 lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight by my 8 week check up, to my midwife's fury. I lost an additional 15 lbs past my pre-pregnancy weight by 6 months postpartum. I was thinner when I got pregnant again November 2005 than I was when I got pregnant with my first child.

However, I had several factors working for me. One -- I produce milk like a Holstein cow! No kidding. I could pump from each breast AFTER each nursing at least 8 oz before it slowed down, and that went on for months ( I randomly checked, just out of curiosity, once in a while). Making one oz of milk takes around 20 calories; I calculated that I was losing at least 1000 calories a day just to milk production. I also had a huge baby who nursed about every hour for quite a while. Two -- I'm naturally thin and have a high metabolism. Three -- I had a baby who literally would not let me sit down. I walked him for hours a day; I drove to every mall in the area and would walk for at least 4 hours 5 days a week, plus once on weekends with DH. I also do heavy barn work twice a day every day. Finally -- I had PPD, and that fooled with my appetite. So my experience was not normal, and I'm not expecting that to happen this go-round.

There are plenty of moms though, who don't lose weight while nursing. Mother Nature likes her moms a little plump as backup against a sudden loss of nutrition (like a famine).

Many moms say they start losing weight best between 3-6 months, when the baby's intake increases. So don't lose hope yet. The vast majority of women take 9 months to put it on, and 9 months to take it off.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh 3 1/2 months....That makes more since. LOL. I thought, how is she excersizing at 3 weeks? You will lose the weight. Just keep up the good work.

yeah - at 3 weeks I was practically still waddling around and wondering how I was ever going to survive motherhood. Exercise was the farthest thing from my mind.

I am about where you are post partum- I can relate. And I will say I was one of those people who was obssessed at week 3. I come from a family of very thin people, with my mother and grandmother constantly telling me that my stomach would go right back and I believed it. It didn't help that my SIL had a baby right before me and was back in her regular clothes in 3 days! I am not exagerating, 3 days! Anyway, now in month three I am starting to notice a little more rapid weight loss. (Out of 40+ lbs, I lost all but the last 10-15 in the first few weeks). I can also say that like some of the other pp's, I will lose a little and then plateu (?) for awhile. I also had to have a c-section and think that I am going to have that little fat roll for awhile. I don't have much time for exercise but my dd is starting to keep me really busy and I think it is helping. She is growing very spoiled to walking around in my sling. Do you have a sling? Whenever I do take walks, I always strap her in rather than take the stroller. What is better than having an extra 15 lbs to carry around when you are walking? Well, all that to say don't worry about it too much- do what you can but don't freak out when you don't lose it as quickly as you want. Remember, when you lose weight too fast, toxins can be released into your milk. Let your body lose at its own rate. HTH!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Well, I am 41 and this is baby #3 (the last one was 11 years ago) and this go around is NOT the same for me. I gained 43 pounds (after spending two years on a great weight loss exercise plan that had me right at the weight I wanted to be!) I never expected to get pregnant. The pregnancy was a bit rough. I lost 22 lbs in the first 4 weeks and about 3 in the subsequent 11. Not very inspiring. He has gone through growth spurts that woke me up in the night with hunger. I ate. I have tried to be healthy, I am pretty much, I don't ahve much time for exercise, but walk some. But, I am hungry all the time. He was born at 8.5 lbs and grew to 16.5 by his 3 month check up. So, I don't know, everyone is different. But, for me, this time has been very different than the past too.

Jeanne