Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Breastfeeding Diet

Default The Breastfeeding Diet

I have always heard fantastic stories about how much weight a mom can lose while bfing. My ds is about 3 1/2 weeks old and I am still several lbs. above my prepregnancy weight. My doctor told me that some women lose all kinds of weight while bfing and others don't lose any until after they stop bfing. Which are you?

For those lucky moms who have had success with The Breastfeeding Diet - Do you exercise? What do you eat? - or do the lbs just melt away effortlessly as your body makes milk? Did you gain a lot of weight during your pregnancy?

I currently exercise sporadically and eat a moderately healthy diet and I am maintaining my weight, but would like to lose some. I guess I should just get my act together and eat a little healthier and work out more regularly. I just wanted to know what has worked for others.

Thanks

Default Re: The Breastfeeding Diet

I haven't lost hardly any weight at all, and unfortunitly put on more than I should have. BFing doesn't seem to be working as a weightloss program for me. I have started exercising this week and I already eat healthy (not while PG obvioiusly). Just need to cut out any extras and get my but in gear, I'm sure it'll come off.

I asked this elsewhere, but no one replied. Is it possible for your body to go into "store mode" while breastfeeding?
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My LO is 2 months today! I lost quite a bit of wt - probably mostly water weight in the first week-10 days after he was born. Then, I stayed there - at 10 lbs. above my pre-preg weight until this week when I lost one pound. I have been eating pretty much anything I have wanted, though, and did not ever get to the point of really feeling hungry. All along (since he was a few days old) I have been walking, but not exactly speed-walking or really getting my heart-rate up.

I think the change this past week was just not eating quite so much. I figure I'm not going to faint or get nauseous oranything if I am a little hungry occasionally now - not like when I was pg!

One of my friends was back to her pre-preg weight 3 wks after her 2nd LO. She had gained 40 + lbs, too! That LO was a 10-pounder, though!
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

Well 3 weeks is pretty early to be worried about not having lost your weight yet. My DD is 6 months old. I gained about 20 -25 lbs with her. I currently weigh 3 lbs below pre-preg weight. I eat right(about 5-6 small meals a day), get moderate excerise when I can, and drink lots of water. I know some women have a hard time shedding that last 5 or 10 lbs. I also think that 5 or 10 lbs may never go away for some. Eventually you will shed those pounds you want to. In the meantime focus on eating healthy for your lo, not your waist.

Agree with pp that 3 weeks is too soon to be worried about weight loss - I think at that point I was still sweating out extra water.

At the end of my pregnancy I was so looking forward to not having to eat extra, that I totally didn't clue into the fact that BF moms are supposed to eat even more extra calories per day! My first couple weeks BF I definitely wasn't eating enough and felt like LO was "sucking the life out of me". I've gotten better at doing many small meals (I joke about 1st lunch and then a couple hours later having 2nd lunch) and getting plenty of protein.

What helped a lot for me was getting plenty of exercise - for the first 3 months (until I went back to work) I was out walking with DS in a sling on average every other day.

I've tried to focus on eating healthily and getting out for walks, rather on a specific weight loss target and for me this has been very successful.

Good luck - and don't stress too much about your weight!

Lynn

My daughter is 15 weeks old and I have lost almost all of my baby weight but the last 10.. I wouldn't be to concerned at 3 1/2 weeks yet, but I know it is hard not to be because I was. I had a really good friend who told me to wait and see at 8 weeks and to start walking 1 mile a day.. Not only do I get exercise but now my daughter looks forward to that walk as nap time and is cranky if we don't go. I really beleive she loves to go outside because it relaxes me which relaxes her. I haven't cut out any food beside junk food. Give yourself a break it does take time and work...

every woman is different...some lose their pregnancy weight really fast...others don't. i gained 52lbs during my pregnancy ...and so far, i've lost 37lbs so far...most within the first 6 weeks after i gave birth.

dd is now 5 months old...and i still have 15lbs to go. i've noticed that by eating better, i'm able to lose about 1lb every 2 weeks or so. i haven't had the chance to exercise regularly, so i try to take the stairs at work and go for a walk during lunch. i do hope to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight before dd turns 1 year old (so i have 7 months to lost the last 15lbs).

remember, nursing mothers need about 500 extra calories. also, i've heard from some other nursing moms that weight loss is more apparent if you nurse for more than 6 months...but that just might be their experiences...like i said in the beginning, every woman is different!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Hi there!

Did you know that we have a forum devoted to weight loss? You can find it here. Also, you may be interested in the following FAQ from LLL: How can I lose weight safely while breastfeeding?

HTH

Heather

I found that my weight seemed to come off in fits & starts (DS is now nearly 6 months and I'm just below my pre-pregnancy weight). For me, the weight really seemed to come off during LO's growth spurts...the last one at 4.5 months had me feeding him every 2-3 hours around the clock for 10 days so it's no wonder! So if you're just at 3.5 weeks, you still have many growth spurts to look forward to... it's the one upside of those sleepless nights!
    Mum to Silas 04-05-06
    Wife to Rob 17-02-00

3.5 wks and already worried about losing weight?!?

I was 100 lbs pre-preggo and gained 60 lbs!. I was unrecognizable to friends and family! I lost 40 in the first month and have been chipping away at the rest ever since (DS is 6.5 months now). I have 5 lbs to go. I have definitly noticed I drop chunks when DS goes through a growth spurt and then I plateau for awhile. I've done this while getting VERY LITTLE excersize (absolutely no time) and eating healthy (for the most part ). When things cool down here in FL I'll be able to get DS out for walks in the afternoon. I'm sure once I get more active I'll drop the rest.

As far as the "breastfeeding diet" goes, I've heard that weight loss attributed to BF doesn't usually occur until after 4+ months. If you think about it, your LO isn't eating a whole lot at this point. He's still so small and his caloric needs are not huge.

Try not to focus on the weight right now. Know that it may take as long to take it off as it did to put it on.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001