Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrated with Pumping at Work

Default Re: Frustrated with Pumping at Work

Sorry ladies for the confusion. My LO will eat at least one more time in the evening sometimes 2 times after we get home. Usually he does his 6:00pm feeding and if he gets hungry a 7:30ish feeding, and then at 9:00pm - 10pm when we go to bed. So I would say he eats at least 8 times and sometimes up to 10 (when he wants to feed again at 11-12 midnight while we're sleeping)

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I am feeling much better. And I think you're right...that I should start pumping in the morning to see what I can get. Especially if he only feeds on one side (which happens sometimes since he's so tired). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rangersmom View Post
    Sorry ladies for the confusion. My LO will eat at least one more time in the evening sometimes 2 times after we get home. Usually he does his 6:00pm feeding and if he gets hungry a 7:30ish feeding, and then at 9:00pm - 10pm when we go to bed. So I would say he eats at least 8 times and sometimes up to 10 (when he wants to feed again at 11-12 midnight while we're sleeping)

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I am feeling much better. And I think you're right...that I should start pumping in the morning to see what I can get. Especially if he only feeds on one side (which happens sometimes since he's so tired). :-)
    You might also try pumping for 10-15 minutes after the 9-10pm feeding. What type of pump are you using? Does it have a let down setting? I discovered, rather late, that you can pump until milk stops coming out but if you return your pump to the let down setting again after the milk stops, it will stimulate another let down and you can pump even more. You can do this 1-3 times in one session. Makes a world of difference in the amount you pump.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    I discovered, rather late, that you can pump until milk stops coming out but if you return your pump to the let down setting again after the milk stops, it will stimulate another let down and you can pump even more. You can do this 1-3 times in one session. Makes a world of difference in the amount you pump.
    It will also help build your supply up. If you don't have a let down button, you can increase the speed as fast as you can handle and decrease the suction a bit, keep it like that for a minute or two and you should get another let down. You can do this every time you pump if you aren't already getting more than one let down per session.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

You've gotten excellent advice from the PPs. Just another working mama chiming in to say - what's most important is that you pump enough at work that you keep your supply up. It's nice to always have enough milk for your baby, but stuff happens. I'd love to be able to say formula never crossed my baby's lips, but I have supplemented my baby with formula for a variety of reasons, and there's no shame in that, but you have to be careful not to slide down that slippery slope into supply loss. I joke with my husband that I have more than made up for supplementing in LENGTH of time breastfeeding, now that we are at 20 months!

Pumping sucks. Har har. There are things you can do to make it easier. I tried to make the best of it by getting a handsfree set-up (I agree, the bustiers are the best, IMO) and bringing a really great novel into my sessions. That way, I was enjoying my book and relaxing rather than freaking out about output. You're going to have good days and bad days, and you're going to have emergencies, like where you forget your pump supplies at home (and have to run to the store on your break, and you get really P'O'd ) or where you spill a bottle of milk INSIDE your bag, etc. It happens. The important thing is STICKING TO IT. After a while, you'll settle into this routine and it will feel "normal" - it may not be fun, but it will become part of your day.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.