Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Pumping at Work

Unhappy Frustrated with Pumping at Work

Hello All...
    I just needed to vent. I am so agrivated about pumping at work...honestly I'm agrivated about pumping at all. I am a large breasted woman and pumping is uncomfortable. I've waisted money trying to buy things that are suppose to help and they have left me feeling foolish (www.pumpinpals.com). I NEED to be able to relax at work so I can pump effectively and I know that, but I have such a hard time worrying that I'm not getting enough milk. The last 2 days at work I've tried using the pumpin pals gadget and I've gotten such little milk that I actually cried at work. I'm afraid of being judged for being honest on this forum, but in truth my daycare has a can of formula in case my son is hungry and she doesn't have enough breast milk. ON average I've gotten about 8-10 ounces a day at work (from pumping 3 times for 15 minutes). But Ranger took a whole 12 ounces on tuesday and I only got 8 when I pumped at work. It makes me feel inadequate that I'm not getting as much as he can take and I'm so frustrated with it all that part of me wants to stop pumping at work and just nurse him when we're home and I know that's NOT the right answer. I'm just annoyed. Thanks for letting me vent...I'm hoping that I feel better before my 12:00 noon session.

Default Re: Frustrated with Pumping at Work

Have you tried something like an Easy Expressions hands free bustier?

How many hours is your DS at daycare? 8-10 oz is good output. About an ounce per hour is pretty good. Is your DCP using a slow flow nipple on the bottle and pacing the bottle-feeding to make it more like BF? That can also help to keep the mumber of oz consumed manageable.

Also, it's good to know, and for DCP to know, that BF babies don't require increasing amounts of milk like FF babies. The breast milk composition changes to suit your baby's needs as time goes on.

I don't know a single person that likes to pump at work. It's sheer determination to make it through that first year that keeps them going. Hanging on to the time when they can pump wean. Take it one session at a time.

No one will judge you for working through the stress of pumping and the uncertainty about milk production.
    Last edited by @llli*sixyearplan; January 13th, 2011 at 09:38 AM.

Actually my DCP is using breastflow bottles. But Ranger is such an efficient sucker that he can take 4 ounces in a feeding. Last week he for a few days he would actually only have 2 feedings and was only using about 7 ounces but then my DCP and I got a little worried that he wasn't eating frequent enough. His Pediatrician is concerned about his weight gain since he's only in the 14th percentile and has been since birth. He's 10 weeks old today and we have another appointment to check his weight on the 24th. We had to supplement using formula in the very beginning so it's something I've become ok with. By nature I'm very hard on myself, so instead of feeling inadequate I have to focus on the fact that any breastmilk is a gift for my baby. I drink the lacation tea 3 - 4 times a day and I think it helps, or helped...I might be getting immune to it now (is that even possible?). And I'm concerned about using the hands free girdle things because they just look so uncomfortable. But maybe it's worth trying...

Can you add a pump first thing in the am? I was never able to pump a whole lot at work either, but adding that first pump in the am made it possible for me to make up for it and I never had to supplement. It's hard going back to work and pumping.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Well, here's my schedule so I'd love to hear what you think:
    Ranger sleeps in bed with me and he usually nurses around 1:30am and again around 3:30 or 4:00. I get up at 4:30am to shower and get ready for work.
    He usually wakes up around 5:00ish and we spend some time together. I get all the stuff together that I need for work and when he's hungry again I nurse again. It can be anytime from 5 - 6am. I try to get him to wait until 6:00 for his final feeding so that he's got a full belly when we leave at 6:30 for daycare and he'll take his 1st bottle aroun 9 instead of 8. But if he's hungry when he wakes up I feed him at 5:00. I could definitely find the 15 minutes to pump, I just don't know when I should do it because I don't him to be hungry right after I finish when I know I'm not "full" anymore. It's very tricky this breastfeeding thing.
    Anyway, I drop him off at daycare at 7:00 and I pump at 9am, 12noon and 3pm. I get out of work at 4:45ish and we get home for the day around 6:00ish which is usually when I nurse him again. That's pretty much my day in a nutshell.

Pumping is a thankless job, I don't think anyone actually enjoys it. Please don't feel inadequate, you are doing a wonderful thing for your baby.

Some thoughts: if your breastsheild is not the right size it can affect your output. Have you tried different sizes? Here is a link about choosing the right size. There is a better one out there with pictures, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can.

Eating oatmeal can give you a big boost in your pumping output.

There is NO REASON to worry about your child's weight. 14%ile is totally normal. Anything within the 1-99% range is normal. Bigger does not mean healthier and shame on your doctor for making you worry about it! Your doc may also be using the charts made for formula fed babies, most docs do. You might want to chart baby's growth yourself on this chart to put your mind at ease.

Keep trying, mama. And keep pumping at work. If you can't get enough, keep in mind that it is possible to continue nursing even if you are supplementing with formula while you are at work. I did it with my daughter from the very beginning I couldn't pump enough so she got formula at day care along with breast milk. I continued nursing her until she was 2. The keys for making this work for me were (1)I pumped at work to provide as much breastmilk as I could and to keep my supply up. I stopped pumping at 13 mos when she stopped taking a bottle; (2) I NEVER gave her a bottle when I was available to nurse she only got them when I was not there; (3) she nursed frequently at night and I coslept to encourage that- it kept my supply up and gave us valuable time to reconnect.

So don't feel inadequate and don't feel like it's all or nothing. It is amazing to be able to exclusively breastfeed and not need formula. That is absolutely best for your baby. But if you do use formula it definitely does not mean you have to abandon breastfeeding and/or pumping.

Good luck, mama.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

really good points Paige! I could hardly pump anything until I got larger breast shields.

The hands free bustiers are a life saver. Very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rangersmom View Post
    Well, here's my schedule so I'd love to hear what you think:
    Ranger sleeps in bed with me and he usually nurses around 1:30am and again around 3:30 or 4:00. I get up at 4:30am to shower and get ready for work.
    He usually wakes up around 5:00ish and we spend some time together. I get all the stuff together that I need for work and when he's hungry again I nurse again. It can be anytime from 5 - 6am. I try to get him to wait until 6:00 for his final feeding so that he's got a full belly when we leave at 6:30 for daycare and he'll take his 1st bottle aroun 9 instead of 8. But if he's hungry when he wakes up I feed him at 5:00. I could definitely find the 15 minutes to pump, I just don't know when I should do it because I don't him to be hungry right after I finish when I know I'm not "full" anymore. It's very tricky this breastfeeding thing.
    Anyway, I drop him off at daycare at 7:00 and I pump at 9am, 12noon and 3pm. I get out of work at 4:45ish and we get home for the day around 6:00ish which is usually when I nurse him again. That's pretty much my day in a nutshell.
    Okay, the overview looks like this:

1:30AM LO on Breast
    3:30AM LO on Breast
    6:00AM LO on Breast
    9:00AM Pump
    12:00PM Pump
    3:00PM Pump
    6:00PM LO on Breast

I think you're missing a nighttime feeding, when you put him down to bed, right? When do you do that? Do you pump at all between 6PM and 1:30AM?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    Okay, the overview looks like this:

1:30AM LO on Breast
    3:30AM LO on Breast
    6:00AM LO on Breast
    9:00AM Pump
    12:00PM Pump
    3:00PM Pump
    6:00PM LO on Breast

I think you're missing a nighttime feeding, when you put him down to bed, right? When do you do that? Do you pump at all between 6PM and 1:30AM?
    Ok if that is your schedule you are only nursing or pumping 7x with in a 24 hour period. IMO and experience you need to empty your breasts at least 8x per day to even maintain supply, can you pump at say 8pm and 10pm or one of those at least?

From Kellymom:

How often should mom pump?

* 8-10 times per day: Until supply is well established, it is important to get at least eight good nursing and/or pumping sessions per 24 hours. Ten sessions per day is better, particularly if you have twins or higher order multiples.
    * These sessions don't need to be evenly spaced, but you should be nursing/pumping at least once during the night in the first few months or anytime you notice a decrease in supply. Avoid going longer than 5-6 hours without pumping during the first few months.
    * When pumping during the night, milk yield tends to be better if you pump when you naturally wake (to go to the bathroom or because your breasts are uncomfortably full) than if you set an alarm to wake for pumping.
    * If you are having a hard time getting in enough pumping sessions, adding even a short pumping session (increasing frequency even if milk is not removed thoroughly) is helpful.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Ok if that is your schedule you are only nursing or pumping 7x with in a 24 hour period. IMO and experience you need to empty your breasts at least 8x per day to even maintain supply, can you pump at say 8pm and 10pm or one of those at least?
    I think you should try to fit in a pump in the evening and one in the early morning when you wake. Even if you only get an ounce or two...it should help make up the difference.