Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just started pumping help w/ a few ?'s

Default Just started pumping help w/ a few ?'s

Just started trying to pump this week to have some milk in the fridge for my husband to give an occasional bottle and to start building a freezer stash.
    I always nurse one side per session.
    When pumping:
    -I read you should pump for 10-15 min after a session, so should I be pumping the side my son just finished nursing on and then pump on the other side or just pump the side he didnt nurse on? I found when I tried to pump both breasts at once I wasnt getting anything out of the side he just nursed on but did get out of the other side.
    -Also I read ppl say their milk is good in the fridge for 3-5 days, some saying theirs goes bad after 3 days. How can you tell if it is bad? Does it smell bad or do ppl actually taste it to tell??
    -If milk has been in the fridge 3 days and I havent used it can I then put it in the freezer or do I have to put in the freezer the same day it is pumped?
    -How much should I be giving my 3 week old in the bottle? I gave him 2 oz and he acted like he was still hungry so let him nurse then until he was done. The next night we gave him 3 oz and he was hungry an hour later. Should a 3 week old be getting 3 oz in 1 feeding??
    Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*pinkjellybean456; January 12th, 2011 at 09:09 PM.

Default Re: Just started pumping help w/ a few ?'s

Ok, from what I've read...if you're only nursing on one side, you really should only pump on the side you didn't nurse. Unless you want to build up more supply. Pumping on the side he just fed from for 15 minutes is telling your body that it needs to produce more milk. So it's not a bad thing. But not necessary.
    -I believe that when breast milk goes bad is starts to smell kind of like soap. But I've never tried it. And there are some studies that show that breastmilk that was 12 days old actually had less bacteria in it than it did the first day. I will usually leave milk in the fridge for 2 days if I haven't use it, I put in the freezer the night of the second day. It's fine to do that.
    - Kellymom.com has a great calculater you can use to determine how much your baby should be getting per feeding. At 3 weeks old you should still be nursing around every 2 - 3 hours I believe. But breastfed babies take in the same amount in ounces from birth until solids are started (somewhere from 19-25 ounces a day total). Depending on how frequently you nurse your baby will take more or less ounces per feeding (i.e. if you nurse every 2 hours a day then your little one will take anywhere from 1.5 ounces to 2 ounces a feeding. if you're nursing only 8 time a day your baby may take up to 3 ounces per feeding). But you should know that drinking from a bottle is easier for babies than breastfeeding. They get more milk a lot quicker and so they tend to take more from a bottle than they would if you were nursing. They don't necessarily need all 3 ounces, but they will take it. I would just listen to the baby. If he still seems hungry after 3 ounce bottle, nurse him a little bit and "top him off." As long as you're listening to his cues you should be fine!

soapy smelling milk is liapse which is very different from just old milk, old milk smells rotten, like , well, rotten milk.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pinkjellybean456 View Post
    Just started trying to pump this week to have some milk in the fridge for my husband to give an occasional bottle and to start building a freezer stash.
    I always nurse one side per session.
    When pumping:
    -I read you should pump for 10-15 min after a session, so should I be pumping the side my son just finished nursing on and then pump on the other side or just pump the side he didnt nurse on? I found when I tried to pump both breasts at once I wasnt getting anything out of the side he just nursed on but did get out of the other side.
    -Also I read ppl say their milk is good in the fridge for 3-5 days, some saying theirs goes bad after 3 days. How can you tell if it is bad? Does it smell bad or do ppl actually taste it to tell??
    -If milk has been in the fridge 3 days and I havent used it can I then put it in the freezer or do I have to put in the freezer the same day it is pumped?
    -How much should I be giving my 3 week old in the bottle? I gave him 2 oz and he acted like he was still hungry so let him nurse then until he was done. The next night we gave him 3 oz and he was hungry an hour later. Should a 3 week old be getting 3 oz in 1 feeding??
    Thanks!
    you can keep milk in the fridge for 5-7 days IIRC (I will check in a second) and yes in that period you can decide to freeze it. See below for rotten milk smell.

I would pump both sides even if nothing comes out of one side, as baby gets older you are gonna feed from both sides anyway. Also remember if DH gives baby a bottle you MUST pump for that missed feeding session.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

What I found worked best for me was to pump one breast while my daughter was nursing on the other. That way you can take advantage of your letdown, not lose milk to leaking and start assoicating pumping w/ let down for your body.

just something about sour milk. Mine always tastes like its sour, even seconds after it is pumped so I recommened that you taste your milk fresh so you know what fresh tastes like. I threw away ounces and ounces before realizing that my milk just tastes yucky (to me) all the time.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school