Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Restarting Breastfeeding of a Preemie

Default Restarting Breastfeeding of a Preemie

I've never posted anywhere before and I'm not sure this is where this should be but I have a question and I've searched all over the internet. I had my baby after a long hard pregnancy prematurely (7 weeks premature) in October. He was in the NICU for 12 days and I nursed for about a month. He had a hard time nursing because of his size (4 lbs) and I had health issues (blood pressure, migraines and something called POTS syndrome). I had to go back on medication that I was on pre-pregnancy and he couldn't be exposed so I stopped breastfeeding. He is having a lot of GI problems and we have tried several formulas and medications. I am also feeling guilty for not breastfeeding longer. I want to stop taking my medicines and restart breastfeeding after this 9 week period of not. I have read that this is possible with pumping and Fenugreek, lots of water, oatmeal, etc. I can stay on my blood pressure medicine so that is not my concern. I wanted to see if 9 weeks was too long and how he would be latching on and if anyone had this experience. Also, if I am on the right track in what I have read. Thank you.

Default Re: Restarting Breastfeeding of a Preemie

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mama. Congratulations on your baby!

So during that 9 weeks of taking the medications were you pumping at all? If you hand express can you get any milk?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thank you guys for the responses. Those links are helpful. No, I stopped pumping. Actually stopping was incredibly easy - I thought it was going to be long and painful but as soon as I stopped, I dried up immediately! So, I'm afraid I don't have anything...that's my biggest fear!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennyasa5 View Post
    \ So, I'm afraid I don't have anything...that's my biggest fear!
    Don't worry! Even if your supply is down to zero, you can still get it back. I've seen it done. My Mom had to wean my little sis when she was 3 months old due to medical reasons. When she was given the go-ahead to nurse again, her milk was completely gone- she hadn't had a pump or any luck with hand expression. Simply by putting my sis to the breast before supplementing with the bottle, she regained a full supply and went on to nurse for until my sis was 18 months old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"