Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really worried about return to work

Default Really worried about return to work

I go back to work next week and I'm trying to fill up the freezer. I only have about 30 oz in there now and am freaking out!

Yesterday she went to daycare for 7.5 hrs and drank 10 oz. That's in the range I expected (7.5 - 11.25). I sent 11 oz.

While I was away from her yesterday, I pumped twice and got a whopping 5 oz. I pumped a little more when she was down for her nap and got another oz.

Today, I've been getting an oz here and there and have nursed constantly (every 1.5 hrs or so) and pumped also.

I'm totally freaked that I'm not going to be able to produce enough next week and my freezer stash will disappear in the first couple of days.

I did get some Mothers Milk tea and have been doing 2 cups a day for 2 days. I haven't noticed the maple syrup smell in my pee or a change in my output. How long will it take for that to kick in?

I'm nursing as frequently as she is hungry (and even when she's just fussy a little) and pumping between or when she naps.

What else can I do?

Will I be ok next week?

Someone talk me off the ledge!

Default Re: Really worried about return to work

yes you will be fine. So you were away from her for like 8 hours but only pumped 2x? Is that correct. What do you think your daily pumping schedule will be like, maybe we can figure a way to add another session?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    yes you will be fine. So you were away from her for like 8 hours but only pumped 2x? Is that correct. What do you think your daily pumping schedule will be like, maybe we can figure a way to add another session?
    If possible, I would try to start out pumping three times a day. What kind of pump do you have? Have you tried massaging your breast and doing compressions while you pump? That makes a BIG difference for me in terms of output.

Some mothers also find that they need to add another session to their day, outside of working hours (often after their baby goes to bed, but before they go to bed; another option is in the car while you are driving to work).

Take a deep breath, you're going to be okay. It may take your body a little while to get used to the pump. Bring a piece of unwashed baby clothing with you tomorrow and smell it while you are pumping (sounds a bit weird, but it works!).

You can do this!
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; January 12th, 2011 at 04:25 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

also does baby sleep reliablity for any stretch at night? When I had to add a session I would do it in the middle of this sleep stretch.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Ok, let me see if I can answer everyone in one post LOL

She does great for naps - 3 hrs in the morning and 3 hrs in the evening. Plus a 30-45 min in the afternoon around lunch time.... at night, not so much. I think with us co-sleeping, she just doesn't feel like sleeping when she's got boobie right there all night. I don't tell her "no" when she scooches over to get a snack so she's up every 2-3 hours. Some nights we'll get a 5 hr stretch, but that's not very often.

She has never gone down without me. I'm going to try tonight - she's been great with naps the last few days.

We usually go down about 9pm and then we're up for the day around 6:30am. I usually put her in the bouncy while I pump at 6:30 or so and then I shower and get dressed before sitting with her to nurse in the morning. She's snacking all night, so she seems really ok with this. I think she gets up at 6:30 to get a new diaper more than anything.

When I go back to work, here's what I planned:
    4:30 - I get up and pump, shower, get me ready for work
    5:40 - get her up, dressed, ready for daycare and feed her
    6:00 - I leave for work (takes 1.5 hrs to get there)
    6:45 - Daddy leaves her at daycare
    7:30 - I pump for 10 min right before getting started for the day
    9:00 - I pump for 15 min
    12:00 - I pump for 30 min
    3:00 - I pump for 15 min
    4:00 - leave work
    5:30 - get her from daycare and boogie home to feed her whenever she wants
    Mom and Dad eat dinner, get ready for the next day, etc and then finally at
    8:00 - get to bed

I have a PIS.

I have done a little compression before pumping but not every time. Is there a reference on Kelly Mom on how to best "do" it? Or anywhere else for that matter? I can't really find anything in my looking.

I have a couple videos of her cooing and giggling on my phone and will put her PJ's in the pump bag each morning. I had planned on using both to help with output.

I do have a hands free thing and it's a great thing.

I've even contemplated pumping in the car on the way home for 20 min or so before I pick her up, but that seems like overkill.

Thanks for the votes of confidence. I'm just freaking out on the unknown, I think. My husband laughs at me cause I always worry too much.

Like anything, it takes a while to settle into a new routine. Pumping at work can seem pretty intimidating at first, but I think the reality of it is really not so bad. I know it's hard, but try not to spend your pumping sessions freaking out about output! It really doesn't help! Instead, read a nice book, something fun, and try to make a pleasant break out of it.

As far as compressions, I really just used trial and error to figure it out, but I think it's helpful to know a little bit about "hand expression" because you may find a similar technique works to increase pumping output:
    The Marmet Technique of Manual Expression*

This technique has been developed by Chele Marmet, a La Leche League Leader and lactation consultant who is the Director of the Lactation Institute in West Los Angeles, USA. As with any manual skill, practice is important.

1. Position the thumb and first two fingers about 1 " to 1 1/2" behind the nipple. Use this measurement, which is not necessarily the outer edge of the areola, as a guide. The areola varies in size from one woman to another. Place the thumb pad above the nipple and the finger pads below to form a "C." Avoid cupping the breast.
    2. Push straight into the chest wall. Avoid spreading the fingers apart. For large breasts, first lift and then push into the chest wall.
    3. Roll thumb and fingers forward as if making thumb and fingerprints at the same time. The rolling motion of the thumb and fingers compresses and empties the milk reservoirs without hurting sensitive breast tissue.
    4. Repeat rhythmically to drain the reservoirs. Position, push, roll; position, push, roll.
    5. Rotate the thumb and finger position to milk the other reservoirs. Use both hands on each breast.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

sorry did I miss how old baby is? IMO there is NOTHING wrong with your cosleeping and feeding baby all night this is totally normal! I wouldnt change it, why does she have to be put down w/o you?

I looked at your schedule and I would pump on the way home at 430, at this point you are only pumping/nursing 7x per day and I'd shoot for at least 8 to maintain supply while pumping a lot.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    IMO there is NOTHING wrong with your cosleeping and feeding baby all night this is totally normal! I wouldnt change it, why does she have to be put down w/o you?
    If you're worried about her DCP being able to put her down without you, don't. You can put your baby down YOUR way, and DCP will work out their own routine with baby. You do not need to get your baby used to it - babies understand that different people do things different ways.

And not only is cosleeping okay, but nursing more at night is good for your supply, and means you don't have to pump as much during the day. If you cosleep, you can kind of just roll over to nurse - you don't have to fully wake up. I think it's a lot easier for the working mom, myself.

You can call me JoMo!

I would LOVE to have her go down at night without me crawling into bed! Just having an hour with DH to have some couple time would be nice! Until then, he has Angry Birds to keep him company. lol

She is 3 mos.

I didnt think about the 8x a day part. Thanks for seeing that.

She refused to go down without me tonight. lol One handed typing is getting too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*drenee73 View Post
    I would LOVE to have her go down at night without me crawling into bed! Just having an hour with DH to have some couple time would be nice! Until then, he has Angry Birds to keep him company. lol

She is 3 mos.

I didnt think about the 8x a day part. Thanks for seeing that.

She refused to go down without me tonight. lol One handed typing is getting too easy.
    Well you're in good company cuz I'd venture to guess that almost all of us put our kids down at that age, it will get easier, but mama this is a SHORT time in your baby's life and it will pass in the blink of an eye, lay down, nurse to sleep and get back for some couple time....or not. Hang in there it won't. Last forever.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language