Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did you space out pumps?

Default Re: When did you space out pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    OP's baby is nine months old. So I don't think stretching pumpings out to 4 hours apart will be a problem for your supply, as long as you are still breastfeeding regularly when you are home with your baby (that is key, so if you are working long hours and your baby STTN, you might have more issues). If your supply does go down, I agree, you should be able to increase it again easily by reintroducing that pumping. At this phase, your supply should be pretty flexible, and adjust to demand pretty quickly.
    yes I edited my reply...I was thinking of another mama that I asked what he schedule for pumping was....where did that thread go?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Okay, my LO is only 11 weeks old. I have been consistently pumping 3 oz. in the morning before work, once during my lunch hour (usually about 10-11 oz.), once after I get home (2 oz.) and then once in the late evening (4-5 oz.). I breastfeed him when I get home and through the night and once at 6:30AM before I leave for work at 7AM. What I pump is bottled up and put in the fridge to use the following day. I leave 5 - 4 oz. bottles for the day, but he usually only uses 3 or 4 bottles and we carry the remainder over to the next day. I also have about 10 4 oz. bottles stored in the freezer.

So, in summary, that's:

5:00AM - 3 oz. (pump)
    6:30AM - LO on breast
    1:00PM - 11 oz.
    6:15PM - LO on breast
    7:00PM - 2 oz. (baby eats immediately before this)
    8:30PM - LO on breast, then to bed
    10:30PM - 5 oz.
    12:30AM - LO on breast
    3:30AM - LO on breast

That said, am I pumping often enough? It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE for me to pump more than once at work.

I'm pretty sure I have a large storage capacity. I can pump 7 oz. in one breast and not feel like it's completely empty. I only stop because I need to move to the other breast and often run out of time during the lunch hour before emptying them both.

Thoughts? Anyone have any recommendations for improving this? I don't want to see a drop in my supply down the line...

looks good to me. If your supply does drop it will be more that your body is regulating and not over producing (11oz in a session is a LARGE amt) rather than a signal of underproduction so if that does happen don't freak out about it.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Any reason you're not pumping both sides at once, @desertchildaz? It's faster, and it maintains your supply better. If you can only pump once a day, it seems especially good to totally empty your breasts, which is a LOT easier with a double pump. That way, your body knows to make the same amount tomorrow. Otherwise, you may see it slowly start to decrease.

Other than that, I agree with PP, although you are going longer between pumpings than I would usually recommend, if you are consistent about it, and if you continue to nurse frequently on your off time, you should be okay.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Any reason you're not pumping both sides at once, @desertchildaz? It's faster, and it maintains your supply better. If you can only pump once a day, it seems especially good to totally empty your breasts, which is a LOT easier with a double pump. That way, your body knows to make the same amount tomorrow. Otherwise, you may see it slowly start to decrease.
    You know, I tried pumping both at once when I had my original pump and it drove me crazy. It had that bar that holds both shields to your breasts and I felt like a statue trying to keep them positioned exactly to my breasts which was hard to do because they are FF and... hello...my nips aren't "perky" like they used to be.

Anyway, I haven't tried it since, but maybe I should try it now on the PISA that I have since bought. I guess I just like to use that time to catch up on reading, etc and I can't turn a page while holding both shields up to my boobs. But surely I'll give it a try if it will help empty both entirely in my lunch hour.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    You know, I tried pumping both at once when I had my original pump and it drove me crazy. It had that bar that holds both shields to your breasts and I felt like a statue trying to keep them positioned exactly to my breasts which was hard to do because they are FF and... hello...my nips aren't "perky" like they used to be.

Anyway, I haven't tried it since, but maybe I should try it now on the PISA that I have since bought. I guess I just like to use that time to catch up on reading, etc and I can't turn a page while holding both shields up to my boobs. But surely I'll give it a try if it will help empty both entirely in my lunch hour.
    you could try a hands free pumping bra double pumping over the long haul is really the way to go.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    you could try a hands free pumping bra double pumping over the long haul is really the way to go.
    Life without a hands free bra or bustier is impossible to even imagine! I have also heard that a lot of women just cut a few small holes in an old sports bra, or use rubber bands to attach the flanges to the bra strap, or anything ... you should not have to stand like a statue!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Omg I would go postal without my hands free! There's no way I could have kept up pumping at work this long without it. I've heard of the sports bra thing. This is what I have. It goes over your bra so you don't have to change bras. Worth every penny and then some.

http://www.pumpingband.com/

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!