Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you space out pumps?

Default When did you space out pumps?

My DS will be 9 months(!) next week. I have a huge stash in my freezer. I am pumping once in the morning, and 3x at work. Would it mess up my supply if I space out my pumpings and only pump 2x at work? I should mention, I have noticed a bit of a drop in my pumping output since returning from a 2 week holiday break 2 weeks ago. I think it is from him eating more solids and getting into finger foods.

Default Re: When did you space out pumps?

Do you have enough in the freezer to get you through the next three months if you drop one pumping?

I would give it a try. I think I dropped down to 2 pumps a day somewhere around 10 or 11 months, but I was usually ahead a few bottles a week because my daughter never really took to the bottle. The weird thing was that I was able to pump the same amount out in two times that I did in three times for a while.

You can always add the third pumping back in if you need to.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

well what does he eat while away from you? Does he need that other bottle? At 9 months my supply dropped and I could barely keep up, but if DS is content with drinking what you produce from 2 sessions and you nurse at home, you should be fine.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    well what does he eat while away from you? Does he need that other bottle? At 9 months my supply dropped and I could barely keep up, but if DS is content with drinking what you produce from 2 sessions and you nurse at home, you should be fine.
    I always pumped twice in my 8 hour day and made plenty, and I went down to once a day around eleven months, as I started to wean off the pump and still made quite a bit even then. I did breast compressions and use the let-down feature of my pump to get a second letdown. But different women just have different "storage capacity." Also, Joe was nursing like every hour, all. night. long. around that age, so I'm sure he was getting a lot of calories then!

So basically, the answer is - it depends! Sorry, not that helpful.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have a HUGE stash in the freezer. Literally packed to the brim. Thankfully we have 2 refrigerators I am not worried about having enough to give him. I am more worried of it dropping my supply. It would be pumping every 4.5-5hrs instead of every 3-3.5hrs. Do you think that would affect my supply?

I think by this time, if if did affect your supply - you could add the third session back in and bump it right back up.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

how old is your baby? I had a huge freezer stash as well until about 3 months when my body regulated itself. I took an excellent working and BFing class and was told there (and kellymom, etc) that to maintain supply you have to empty your breasts 8-12x per day, so I guess to see if it would effect your supply you have to look at the big picture of the 24 hour period as opposed to just while at work.

in general 4.5 hours, if your baby is an infant is a long time to stretch it.

ETA: forget what I just said I'm thinking of another poster sorry! At 9 months I def think you could stretch it out to experiment if you wanted for a week and see what the effects are.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

OP's baby is nine months old. So I don't think stretching pumpings out to 4 hours apart will be a problem for your supply, as long as you are still breastfeeding regularly when you are home with your baby (that is key, so if you are working long hours and your baby STTN, you might have more issues). If your supply does go down, I agree, you should be able to increase it again easily by reintroducing that pumping. At this phase, your supply should be pretty flexible, and adjust to demand pretty quickly.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

And can I just say this thread has inspired me to maybe try dropping one of my three sessions at work?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DD will be 11 months old next week. I've been pumping 3X a day here 5 days a week since she was 12 weeks old.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    And can I just say this thread has inspired me to maybe try dropping one of my three sessions at work?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DD will be 11 months old next week. I've been pumping 3X a day here 5 days a week since she was 12 weeks old.
    Wow! Good for you! But you know, I made just as much milk pumping twice, at 11:30 and 3:30, as I did with three pumpings. And I made about 75% as much just pumping once. Again, keeping in mind that Joe was nursing every hour on the hour most of the nights, so obviously he wasn't going to waste away with two bottles instead of three.

You can call me JoMo!