Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was producing more but now it has decreased

Default Was producing more but now it has decreased

Why do you ladies think this could be? I've been pumping between feedings so i can increase my supply for 2 months now. I started being able to pump 1/4 of an ounce from BOTH breasts for one day (average of 4-5 pumping sessions) then it increased to 3 ounces PER breast for one day (still average of 4-5 pumping sessions a day). I also use an SNS to help with milk flow and production. Lately, my left breast doesnt produce as much as the right one... i get only 1.5 to 2 oz (but usually on the lower end). My breasts are weird, i notice that my baby can remove the milk better on the left breast but not so much on the right breast. Yet, the pump can remove milk better from the right breast but not so much the left. Anyway, this doesnt explain why i'm not producing the 3 oz on my left breast that i was producing before. I hope i didnt confuse y'all. Let me know if i can explain things better.

Default Re: Was producing more but now it has decreased

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    How did you determine that your baby is more efficient on one breast and the pump is more efficient on the other?
    He gulps a lot more on the left than he does on the right. His sucking movement more pronounced (still has some pauses but not like before).

Well most babies has their preferred side, and most mamas have a side that underperforms compared to the other. My left side produces significantly less than my right. At least 1/3-1/2 less, maybe even less than that.

It could simply be that your pumping output changed because your LO is nursing more efficiently.

To be more clear - it sounds like baby loves the left side and drains it pretty well.
    Odd. At first it was the left breast, for a while the right, and now again the left side. He must get bored So i shouldnt worry?

There's no telling. My older girls preferred my left side and third the right.

Oh and just wait until he wants to switch sides every minute.
    We've had to switch side for him to try to empty the boob but still it's maybe twice on each breast. Your baby must be really efficient

Fickle and silly. That comes a little later, and it's funny and sometimes They figure out how to get the milk to let down most efficiently.
    Well i decided to check today for more in-depth observation and i noticed that when i dont use the SNS he doesnt suck for long afterwards. I just dont want to "dry up". I want to continue nursing at least till he is a year old.

What do you think would happen if you took the SNS away? And how much supplement are you using?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    What do you think would happen if you took the SNS away? And how much supplement are you using?
    I think he'd prolly suck for a minute and he'd either cry, fall asleep or grunt . I'm supplementing with 2.5 ounces per feeding. I average 6 feedings a day with my 5 1/2 month DS.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joesmama View Post
    I think he'd prolly suck for a minute and he'd either cry, fall asleep or grunt .
    Sounds like you have a clever baby! He's discovered that he can get the SNS stuck into his mouth if he behaves a certain way. One thing you might want to try is crimping the SNS tube while he's nursing. If the flow from the tube is restricted, he may suck harder at the breast and stimulate a better flow from the breast.

I'm supplementing with 2.5 ounces per feeding. I average 6 feedings a day with my 5 1/2 month DS.
    This link covers weaning from formula supplements- but the same principle works for weaning from breastmilk supplements. Decrease the supplement a little at a time and the baby should work harder to pick up the slack.

I'd also suggest adding in as many nursing sessions as possible- 6 feedings at 5.5 months is sort of on the low end, which may be due to the supplements- he's getting a lot of milk at one time, instead of taking less more frequently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'd also suggest adding in as many nursing sessions as possible- 6 feedings at 5.5 months is sort of on the low end, which may be due to the supplements- he's getting a lot of milk at one time, instead of taking less more frequently.
    The thing is he's not hungry. I thought that was a bit uncommon for his age but part of it may be bc he's discovering a "new world" he forgets about eating. I feel like i'd be force-feeding iykwim. That's part of the reason why i pump between feedings and average five 20 min sessions a day (I've tried 15 min sessions but i've noticed i dont pump as much milk).

The thing is he's not hungry

I Wonder if this is a sign of reflux or gerd?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T106004.asp