Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increase in solids to 3x/day and HUGE change in poop!

Default Increase in solids to 3x/day and HUGE change in poop!

I posted this under the elimination forum, but no one has responded. Do you momma's have any feedback?

Last Thursday, we uped solid intake for my 9 month old after his dr. visit. We've had pooping problems since he was 4 months of infrequent poops. They are still infrequent and we are lucky if he goes 2x/week. This morning, he pooped and it was playdoh like consistency. As I'm typing this, he looks like he is trying to poop again. I can smell it, he's standing against the couch, pushing and fussing. Is this constipation? Oh, we just increased solids to 2-3x/day.

Okay, this second poop is a little tiny bit more firm than playdoh.

Default Re: Increase in solids to 3x/day and HUGE change in poop!

Sounds normal to me, not like severe constipation - poops will be more firm after you introduce solids, and 2X a week is normal for a breastfed baby.

I will say, a lot of solids people tend to give young babies are constipating - iron enriched cereals and banana, especially. Perhaps give him more variety of fruits and veggies?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

He had been getting rolled oats mixed with pear for bkfst...just for a few days. I've stopped that. I'm trying to stick to the greens and fruits for now. We haven't introduced banana because I'm worried about constipation. He LOVES sweet potato, but I'm worried it will clog him up as with squashes. IS it a slow introduction? I'd like to give him a variety of things. When can I introduce egg?

Here's the website I used for all that good info ... I think you can totally introduce egg yolks at this point, if I remember correctly. Don't quote me on that, it's been a while.

Joe loved sweet potato too, and it never gave him constipation ... What about avocado? Peas? Does he eat finger foods? A lot of babies love to eat whole frozen peas, or you can cook them and let your baby feed himself. Beans? Joe loved cooked beans at this age. I also gave him dairy, like yogurt.

Full disclosure: There are other mamas on here that know all of the different food guidelines. Basically, the only one I followed carefully was honey - I did not introduce honey until after a year. Joe even had peanut butter well before a year (he was fine with it) because DH never read the guidelines, and had no idea it was an issue!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.