Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving DD to her own bed

Default Moving DD to her own bed

DD is 18mo and still nurses during the night sometimes. We are still co-sleeping, but I have been thinking it's time for her to move into her own bed. How can I manage it? What have you all done that has worked? She has a fit if she wakes up without me, and I just don't know how to calm her down. The only thing that works is if I lay down with her.
    Proud mommie to two miracle babies
    Rachel 2/24/06 7lb 13oz born at 38 wks
    formula fed with lots of love.
    And currently attempting to drive her mother crazy
    Morgan 7/4/09 8lb 1oz born at 37wks
    bf going strong!
    Baby girl is one year old! Where does the time go?

Default Re: Moving DD to her own bed

We got Lilah a full size bed and kept the sleeping arrangement the same - basically I slept with her after her first wake up on. Then after several months - you could do it faster, I'm sure - her daddy took over bedtime. A few months after that her daddy took over the whole night. She was still nursing 3 to 5 times a night though from the time we moved her until her daddy took over bedtime. At that point, she started nursing somewhere between 1 and 3 times a night and now she doesn't nurse at night at all. We moved her into her room when she was 14 months old - there just wasn't room for all of us in a queen size bed anymore. When we first started it out, we put a twin size mattress on the floor until we bought the bed.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

all you can do is try and if it doesn't work then you can bring her back to bed with you.
    I think you have to go with what ever gets you the most sleep.

IS her room totaly toddler proof?

Wish more moms could reply to this... I'm trying to move my son to his bed and tonight we had a terrible time. He kept crying and climbing out to come to me to nurse (for comfort as he had already nursed fully 15 min earlier). It was very upsetting watching him cry and beg to come to my breast but I knew he just was trying to avoid sleeping or sleeping in his bed. I'm confused as to what I should be doing. I sleep in our bedroom with him and DH has the living room sofabed. I'd like DS to start sleeping alone and hopefully allow me to sleep more than 2 hours at a time...but not sure how to do this now he's so grown...
    Proud Momma to Emmanuel Stephen (2/14/09).

22 months and counting!
    :

I'm not sure if it will make you all feel better or worse, but I still co-sleep with my 4 yo, so you're definitely not alone. I think it's totally normal for them to still want a comforting adult around. Particularly when they start becoming afraid of the dark.

We haven't started but she can stay asleep on a blanket by herself if I'm not ready to go to bed as early. I think when we start we will get her to sleep and start her out on a crib mattress on our floor and then when she wakes up bring her into bed with us. She is almost 18 months old. I'm not pregnant but sometime before baby # 2 I want her on a separate sleeping surface because I don't think it's safe to have a toddler with a newborn.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

What has worked for us is putting a crib mattress on the floor in our room. I nurse our little guy to sleep on the crib mattress and he sleeps anywhere from 3 to 5 hours for his first stretch on that then comes into bed with us or we have been working on getting back up and nursing him back to sleep on that. I like still having him with us in our room and bringing him into bed with us but also having that time that we can sleep in bed without him. Just have to make sure that your bedroom is childproof if you don't think you would wake up when they do. That has never been a problem for us becuase our little guy hollers when he wakes up.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I "let" hubby sleep with 2 year old when we had little sis...

My 3 year old sleeps in his own bed (which is adjacent to our bed in our room). He goes down all by himself after Daddy reads him a story and gives him a 3 minute snuggle. We sit out on the couch and enjoy time with the 1 year old and each other until he falls asleep. That started at about 30 months of age, maybe a month or so later. It really is a milestone, I think. We just didn't try too hard to kick him out once we realized that it was going to be a struggle.

So my vote is give it a little more time before trying again if it's a struggle. We did try at about that age, and it just made him grouchy all day. Wasn't worth it to me.

When she's ready, I do like Dr Jay Gordan. HTH!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I "let" hubby sleep with 2 year old when we had little sis...

yup what we did. They are both in with me now. When DD is closer to sttn (or really when DS is ) I am kicking them out together. My basic thinking is 1) I do not sleeping alone, why should they and 2) we evolved to sleep together not separately they are just doing what comes naturally. They will sleep on their own when they are ready
    jm2c
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.