Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump & Dump after X-Rays?

Default Pump & Dump after X-Rays?

DS is having a barium swallow (an x-ray to see the extent of his reflux) and he will need to nurse (or drink from a bottle) and eat cereal during the x-rays so they can watch. They advise pregnant women not to be the one feeding DB for this procedure. As a bf-ing mother should I either have DH feed DS, or should I pump & dump after exposure if I'm the one in the room? If I do need to pump & dump, do you know how long after the x-rays I need to do that? Thanks!

Default Re: Pump & Dump after X-Rays?

No need to pump and dump!

Being pregnant (you aren't pregnant, right?) and nursing are two very different physiological processes. Xrays are a no-no for pregnant women but they're just fine for breastfeeding women

Nope, not pregnant, but I didn't know if there was something about x-rays that changed the quality of breastmilk (I've been on some of the discussions about microwaving breastmilk so it seemed good to check.) DS will be swalling barium, which I don't think is a radioactive isotope, but in any case my breastmilk would be less radioactive than DS!

I am an x-ray tech and can tell you that x-rays do not affect breast milk. While breast tissue is radiosensitive, breast milk is not. A radiosensitive tissue is one that is rapidly dividing (i.e. a developing fetus). Breast milk, as I understand it, is pretty inert so, I think it is pretty safe and no need to pump and dump. As far as the barium goes, it is not radioactive. Just make sure you bf more than normal after the exam to make sure the barium is flushed from the system (it can cause bowel obstruction). I tell adults that have barium studies to drink twice as much fluid as they usually do to make sure the barium does not cause an obstruction. Also, barium has no nutritional value at all so your little one will still need nourishment.
    Bottom line, make sure to ask the radiologist or the technologist performing the study what they recommend for after care.