Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk supply way down at 9 months

Default Milk supply way down at 9 months

My 8-1/2 mo LO is bf. He takes the bottle (pumped bm) twice a day while I am at work and I nurse him all other times. He is on solids and is now solid meals three times a day. I have seen some drop in milk supply in the last month or so and took it to mean that my body was adjusting to demand. Two days ago, I woke up in the morning to one breast completely soft (it was engorged the previous morning!!). During the day too, I was able to pump2-3 ounces less than usual. This appears to be substantially lower than what I have pumped since LO was 4 mo. I am concerned because LO takes more milk than what I have been able to pump these two days.

I did get my period after over 7 mo, last month and its due this week. I wonder if the drop in supply is due to my cycle? Have others experienced this? Can this drop be temporary? Any suggestions on what I can do to keep up supply. I have been eating oatmeal/mothers milk tea and started fenugreek tablets today.

I really am not ready to give up BF at this time. Look foward to thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Default Re: Milk supply way down at 9 months

My money is definitely on your upcoming period. Lots and lots of mamas see a supply dip for a few days when their period is due.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

You can re-build your milk supply. pump in the morning, pump when you at work. Nurse your baby extra times when you are together. If he is a strong lustful nurser this temporary dip in your supply is an obstacle he can nurse his way around.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

LO doesnt seem interested in nursing more. He is an express nurser and is down to no more than 8 minutes these days. Hard to get him back on once he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rf2010 View Post
    LO doesnt seem interested in nursing more. He is an express nurser and is down to no more than 8 minutes these days. Hard to get him back on once he's done.
    This is how mine was too. They become experts in efficiency as they get bigger. 8 minutes is good time for a 9 month old baby. If your supply doesn't bounce back, I would try the pumping for sure. But I'd wait and see over a few days to see if it's just your period. Eating the oatmeal and drinking the tea can't hurt either.

Also, not to be too nosey but is there a possability you are pregnant? That is notorious for sudden supply drops.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

If it's due to your period, it should come back up in a few days. As Colleen said, it's very common to get a temporary dip during or just before your period. If you weren't pumping you would probably not even notice. I used to eat oatmeal during those days to give me a bit of a boost.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

This is absolutely happening to me too! Almost the exact same thing - today I only pumped half of what he's eating at day care. DS is 9 months and eating solids three times a day plus snacks. My suspicion was that he was eating too much at school and so by the time he gets home he doesn't want to nurse as much - thus my body isn't producing as much. Now I'm thinking that it might be my period as well - I'm due for it in the next day or so. I hope that is it because my freezer supply is getting super low.

In the meantime, oatmeal, water, and extra pumping and nursing sessions for me....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    You can re-build your milk supply. pump in the morning, pump when you at work. Nurse your baby extra times when you are together. If he is a strong lustful nurser this temporary dip in your supply is an obstacle he can nurse his way around.
    This is totally off topic but could you personal message me about your experiences with your VBACS? Its a BIG interest of mine for baby #2. Thanks!
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy

I've run into this in the last week, LO just turned 9 months on 1.9.11. I increased my water intake in the last week and it has seemed to help as well as nursing sessions. I'm INCREDIBLY thirsty and drinking about 2 gallons of water/day and still thirsty. I have not started my period yet, but wondering if it will happen soon as I've had lots of ECM for several weeks. Sorry if it's TMI.

A lot of mamas come on here worried about their supply around this time - especially pumping mamas (partly because I think we are so dialed into small changes in output). Basically, I think it's normal - at nine months, your baby is probably SUPER distractible and picking up the solid food intake, so your supply may indeed go down a bit. At the same time, your supply is getting more flexible - by a year, I didn't feel engorged in the mornings for the first time ever. Now I almost never feel engorged, and my breasts rarely feel "full." They're always soft. But none of this means that there isn't any milk when your LO wants it.

I always notice my period is coming becuase Joe wants to nurse all the time - a sign that my supply is a little down - plus my nipples are a little tingly and burny and sore. It only lasts a couple of days, and he's never seemed to suffer from the dip.

If this goes on more than a couple of days, or if your baby's diaper output declines, I would wonder about pregnancy.

Otherwise, honestly, I don't know that you need to increase your pumping, etc. It sounds like your supply is basically good.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.