Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Knowing how much to pump

Default Knowing how much to pump

I've been back at work for a few weeks and always pump 8oz.
    It seems to be JUST enough for the baby but I am afraid of a growth spurt day, any day now, and in that case, I will not have enough for her.

Can I do anything now to increase my output?

My schedule:

BF 2:00 am (Left)
    BF 4:00 am (Right)
    Pump 5:30 am (both) - 2-3 ounces (I leave this warm milk for baby)
    I leave to work and am there until 3:30 pm

Pump 8:30ish (3 ounces)
    Pump 11ish (3 ounces)
    Pump 1pm-ish (2 ounces sometimes less )

Considering I've noticed my supply dwindle in the evenings - I do not pump again to save the milk until I get home to the baby.

She is waiting for me with with an open mouth (like a little baby bird ) and basically I nurse ALL EVENING. She wants to be latch the entire time. I feel like I'm not making enough.

Anyway - #1 - How do I increase supply w/o making baby suffer in the evenings? #2 - Is there a way I can get a surge of milk in the evenings to make my evenings smoother? (I plan on posting in another are for this question as well.) This way I can pump at 3ish?

Sorry - Side Note: Baby is 12 weeks - 15 pounds (big girl @ birth) - BF when I am home and I pump at work - just to let you know, shes probably the cutest baby...ever.
    Last edited by @llli*Graceofgod; January 11th, 2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Adding baby info

Smile Re: Knowing how much to pump

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Graceofgod View Post
    I've been back at work for a few weeks and always pump 8oz.
    It seems to be JUST enough for the baby but I am afraid of a growth spurt day, any day now, and in that case, I will not have enough for her.

Can I do anything now to increase my output?

My schedule:

BF 2:00 am (Left)
    BF 4:00 am (Right)
    Pump 5:30 am (both) - 2-3 ounces (I leave this warm milk for baby)
    I leave to work and am there until 3:30 pm

Pump 8:30ish (3 ounces)
    Pump 11ish (3 ounces)
    Pump 1pm-ish (2 ounces sometimes less )

Considering I've noticed my supply dwindle in the evenings - I do not pump again to save the milk until I get home to the baby.

She is waiting for me with with an open mouth (like a little baby bird ) and basically I nurse ALL EVENING. She wants to be latch the entire time. I feel like I'm not making enough.

Anyway - #1 - How do I increase supply w/o making baby suffer in the evenings? #2 - Is there a way I can get a surge of milk in the evenings to make my evenings smoother? (I plan on posting in another are for this question as well.) This way I can pump at 3ish?

Sorry - Side Note: Baby is 12 weeks - 15 pounds (big girl @ birth) - BF when I am home and I pump at work - just to let you know, shes probably the cutest baby...ever.
    Of COURSE she is the cutest baby ever!
    I would (in my humble opinion) recommend that you continue to nurse on demand while you're home/on weekends, etc, and maybe increase a pumping session at work (which is actually what I'm doing and struggling with myself this week)--but as far as the evenings go, unless you want to try an herbal supplement like fenugreek/blessed thistle, your milk supply naturally decreases in the late afternoon/early evening. I've tried everything to combat this, and besides the good old supply/demand (nurse on demand to produce more milk), there's really no changing it. Your supply peaks in the early morning (between 1-5 am usually, per my LC) so you may try pumping right after one of those feedings? Otherwise you could try fenugreek? I used to take it 3x a day and it worked wonders for me (if you WANT you could read about it on my blog, no pressure!)

Good luck! And congrats on producing so much for such a new baby!
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy

Default Re: Knowing how much to pump

so your last pumping at work is around 1pm? when do you leave work? I don't want you to be afraid of not having milk when you get home and nurse, you will always have milk, breasts are never truly empty, in fact it will signal your body to produce more milk. I was going to suggest if you leave at 5pm or so that you add another session at like 3 or 330.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

If you leave work at 330, I would stick to doing no later than 2, especially if babe is super hungry when you get home. Your body will keep makingmilk, but I've always felt more comfortable knowing there's plenty of milk in there when I get home to my baby.

Also, is there a reason you're only pumping one side at night?

ARe you sleeping with baby and nursing at night? Nursing through the night is a great way to increase your supply.

I'm just a little confused. How many total ounces are you getting a day? And is there a reason you can't just nurse her before you leave instead of having to leave her that pumped milk? Baby is most effective in getting the milk out, therefore best at telling your body to make more milk!

The general 'rule of thumb' is that baby needs about 1-1.5 ounces per hour tha you're gone. I always stretched this by nursing right before i left and trying to have him not get a bottle for about 2 hours before I got home, so it was really like i was gone 7 or eight instead of 10 if eating every 2.5 or so hours. Make sense?

If you're really not making enough milk, oatmeal is good for increasing production. I can't do oatmeal so had to take fenugreek occasionally when fertility returned which caused (and continues to cause) monthly brief dips in supply.

Hope this Helps!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    If you leave work at 330, I would stick to doing no later than 2, especially if babe is super hungry when you get home. Your body will keep makingmilk, but I've always felt more comfortable knowing there's plenty of milk in there when I get home to my baby.

ARe you sleeping with baby and nursing at night? Nursing through the night is a great way to increase your supply.

I'm just a little confused. How many total ounces are you getting a day? And is there a reason you can't just nurse her before you leave instead of having to leave her that pumped milk? Baby is most effective in getting the milk out, therefore best at telling your body to make more milk!

The general 'rule of thumb' is that baby needs about 1-1.5 ounces per hour tha you're gone. I always stretched this by nursing right before i left and trying to have him not get a bottle for about 2 hours before I got home, so it was really like i was gone 7 or eight instead of 10 if eating every 2.5 or so hours. Make sense?

If you're really not making enough milk, oatmeal is good for increasing production. I can't do oatmeal so had to take fenugreek occasionally when fertility returned which caused (and continues to cause) monthly brief dips in supply.

Hope this Helps!
    oh, I didnt see that sh left at 330, and also I think she is breastfeeding during the night (she says BF)

I actually would pump again at 230. You leave at 330 and you will have enough when you get home and as I said your body will adjust and make more milk as baby nurses right away when you get home.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post

Hope this Helps!
    I had no idea the baby needs 1-1.5oz per hour you're away from them-seriously, that is really good to know! (Sorry to hi-jack this post)
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy