Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth spurt=pump more frequently?

Smile Growth spurt=pump more frequently?

A few days ago I posted (on another board I think?) that my son seemed like he was going through a growth spurt because all he wanted to do was nurse--but he was having teething symptoms too, so I wasn't sure. Well, lo and behold, he didn't have any teeth show up so I assumed it was a growth spurt. I'm wondering, should I increase the frequency of my pumping sessions at work? I have a well-established supply but am wondering if I should pump 3x in an 8 hour work day instead of my 2x to make sure I'm making enough? He's 6 months old and nurses on mornings, weekends, and weeknights every 2-3 hours on demand. During the day he drinks about 13oz of breastmilk (per 8 hours).
    Any thoughts?
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy

Default Re: Growth spurt=pump more frequently?

So is he drinking more than you are pumping? Are you diving into the stash?

One challenge with pumping at work is that you can get behind with the growth spurts because the stimulation you're getting is set, rather than flexible as it is when you nurse on demand, kwim?

That said, I always pumped 2x a day, for Joe's whole infancy. Usually, the amount they need stays the same from about four months on, so it's only before that that you need to worry about growth spurts.

So, if your baby needs more than you are producing (13 oz sounds great, by the way), then I might just lengthen the sessions for a while, massage your breasts, try to get a second let-down, etc. If that doesn't work, try an additional pumping session, until you are meeting your baby's needs. Make sure to nurse on demand on weekends, to get your supply up where it needs to be. If your supply is good and responsive, this will probably only take a week, tops.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    So is he drinking more than you are pumping? Are you diving into the stash?

One challenge with pumping at work is that you can get behind with the growth spurts because the stimulation you're getting is set, rather than flexible as it is when you nurse on demand, kwim?

That said, I always pumped 2x a day, for Joe's whole infancy. Usually, the amount they need stays the same from about four months on, so it's only before that that you need to worry about growth spurts.

So, if your baby needs more than you are producing (13 oz sounds great, by the way), then I might just lengthen the sessions for a while, massage your breasts, try to get a second let-down, etc. If that doesn't work, try an additional pumping session, until you are meeting your baby's needs. Make sure to nurse on demand on weekends, to get your supply up where it needs to be. If your supply is good and responsive, this will probably only take a week, tops.
    Thank you!
    No he's not drinking more than I'm pumping--yet. Do you really think he won't need more the bigger he gets? I've been producing 13 oz in 8 hours for about 1.5 months now but I just figured that he'd be needing more soon. Hmm. And YES, I'm a little nervous about getting behind on the growth spurts--we had such a challenge even producing enough for a long time in the beginning that I'm all paranoid about it. I'm trying a new thing at work today--pumping whenever I feel a let down. I was at work for an hour and felt one, so I just went to pump--normally I would just wait til my normal pumping time. I'm wondering if this will do anything?

Thanks so much for your input!
    Bloggin' Mommy

I never pumped more during growth spurts. I nursed on demand when I was home and she made up anything she was missing by nursing more. But like pp said, if you aren't keeping up with what she is taking in, you might want to pump more either at work or at night/on weekends to make up the difference.

Your breastmilk changes composition, becoming more concentrated as baby gets older so no, you don't need to increase in volume. Most BFed babies never take more than 4 or 5 ounces at the most and often when they are drinking more at a time like that, they space the feedings out more so they don't really increase the total volume much.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I never pumped more during growth spurts. I nursed on demand when I was home and she made up anything she was missing by nursing more. But like pp said, if you aren't keeping up with what she is taking in, you might want to pump more either at work or at night/on weekends to make up the difference.

Your breastmilk changes composition, becoming more concentrated as baby gets older so no, you don't need to increase in volume. Most BFed babies never take more than 4 or 5 ounces at the most and often when they are drinking more at a time like that, they space the feedings out more so they don't really increase the total volume much.
    I never pumped more during growth spurts. DS would make up for it if necessary when we were together.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Joe's breastmilk intake stayed the same from four months to nine months, when it DECREASED due to drinking more water and eating more solids. He did reverse cycle that whole time, so I'm sure he was getting a lot of his caloric needs met at night.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Wink Re: Growth spurt=pump more frequently?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Joe's breastmilk intake stayed the same from four months to nine months, when it DECREASED due to drinking more water and eating more solids. He did reverse cycle that whole time, so I'm sure he was getting a lot of his caloric needs met at night.
    Good to know! Thanks everyone. It makes me paranoid so I wanted to check the experts
    Bloggin' Mommy