Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does it take for supply to return after taking OTC meds for cold/sinus

Question How long does it take for supply to return after taking OTC meds for cold/sinus

Hi All,

I am just getting over a bad cold and sinus infection. I had to take OTC meds, nursed less (pumped as much as I could). The side effect is that my milk supply has taken a Huge hit and I'm not even making enough for my LO to be happy. I'm nursing as often as she will and pumping extra. How long will it be before I get a decent supply back? (Before getting sick I had more than I needed so I have beed a milk donor)

Thanks in advance!
    Mary
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: How long does it take for supply to return after taking OTC meds for cold/sinus

Each mother and baby pair are different but at 6 months of age, if your daughter has been thriving on breastfeeding exclusively and if she is a lustful nurser, your supply should not have dipped to the point where you needed to supplement. so this unexpected dip in your supply could be unrelated to the otc meds.
    1. Did you heretofore rely on pumping to maintain your supply ?
    2. could you be pregnant?
    3. Did your daughter catch a cold too, and is her nose clogged?
    As you know supplementation can impact the baby's willingness to nurse long and vigorously enough to keep up an ample supply.
    Nurse a lot at night and nurse her in between regular feedings. see if she is willing to suckle before she gets hungry.
    your milk supply can rebound in as little as over the weekend if you get back into bed with baby and nurse like you have no other care in the world. no laundry, no outings, just snuggle time in bed.
    good luck and good health.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Default Re: How long does it take for supply to return after taking OTC meds for cold/sinus

What kind of OTC med did you take?

The one that is most often associated with drops in milk supply is pseudoephedrine, the original ingredient in Sudafed. In the US you have to ask for it at the pharmacy and sign for it, and in many countries it's available by prescription only.

Most other ingredients in OTC cold medicine aren't known to cause milk supply problems (anecdotally, I've heard moms say they thought antihistamines might have affected their supply, but there's no data that shows it to be common).

Being sick can mess with your supply all by itself. You might get dehydrated, or not be able to nurse as often, or if your baby is sick she might not be asking to nurse as much, or might not be nursing as effectively as usual.

Either way, it sounds like you're doing the right things! Your supply will most likely return to normal levels within a few days.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--