Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I Need to be Producing More?

Default Do I Need to be Producing More?

Hello,
    I have a 5 month old son who has been doing very well nursing and gaining weight (16 pounds at 4 month old check up). I would say he nurses 7-9 times when I'm at home, and takes about 18 ounces when I'm at work (12 hour shifts). He usually has 4-5 wet diapers
    I work in a busy ER, and until recently I've gotten away with pumping twice per shift. Realistically this is about as much as I can manage now that I'm on nights and we have reduced staffing. I used to make 18-21 oz, but lately I've been getting 16 oz. I exclusively breastfeed when we're together. My freezer stash is slowly going down, especially after a possible recent growth spurt.
    If my son still seems very fussy and hungry after he's been given what I'm able to pump, what would be the best option? He's been very interested in watching us eat lately, so I've been contemplating start rice cereal. Is it alright to give him water or formula? I know supplementing will only decrease my supply, but I'm not sure what to do while I'm away at work.

Default Re: Do I Need to be Producing More?

I am also not able to pump as much as I should. I had to start domperidone to increase my supply. I am not sure where you are. I am in Canada where you can get it through prescription.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school