Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Weaning a 4 year old?

Default Re: Weaning a 4 year old?

Karen, she won't remember you taking it away. That's the mom guilt talking. If she remembers she'll do what all humans do, gloss over the unpleasant parts and remember the warm cuddles. She'll be fine. I promise.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Ack! I caved last night and nursed her. She was so upset and crying and saying how she missed nummies and she doesn't want to be a big girl, etc. It made her so happy to nurse, but it was so uncomfortable and annoying for me. She says she got milk, but I just don't see how. It just doesn't seem like she's sucking and swallowing to me, more just that she holds my nipple in her mouth. I just don't know what to do. There's just no way to make us both happy right now.

Well, DD hasn't nursed since I last posted, so it's been 10 days. She's rarely asked. The last time she really truly asked, I told her the nums were tired, they'd worked a long time, and now they were ready to be done. She fussed about it for a minute, but no major breakdown from her. She hasn't even asked in almost a week. We were even talking yesterday near bedtime about how she nursed as a baby, and she was pretending to be a baby, but she still never actually asked to nurse. So I'm guessing that she really is okay with it, just needed a push to get the ball rolling. I haven't felt at all like my boobs are filling up without her nursing, so I really don't think she was getting any milk there at the end, or if she was, it certainly wasn't much. I feel so good to be done. My hope is that I didn't force her before she was ready, and I don't think I really did, but only she can really know that. So, this part of our journey is over. In another week or two when I feel really confident about it, I'm gonna have me a PB&J sandwich and a Snickers!

DD hasn't nursed in about a month but I'm still scared to eat a Resses. It's just been forbidden for so long and I kind of think pb=poison now. It's not rational, I know

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Well, not as irrational as the fact that I have never given my DD any nuts because her father is so allergic to some of them. So I have no idea whether she is allergic or not. I swear every single time we've been going to test them with her, she gets sick. After about 5 or 6 times, I'm kinda like "okay, is this a sign not to try them with her?" so I'm scared to death of it!

Sounds great mamap...I don't think you forced her before she was ready at all
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

It sounds like all is going well ! That is great to hear - congrats, mama.p!