Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Weaning a 4 year old?

Default Re: Weaning a 4 year old?

I weaned Max on his 4th birthday. We hyped it up a lot and discussed things we could do instead (snuggle, etc). It worked for the most part. He still mentions that he will resume nursing on his 5th birthday I confess that he was sick several weeks ago and was telling me he really wanted to nurse...and I let him. But he didnt remember how and . We were both shocked. He was sucking like a straw and telling me there was no more milk. Anyway ever since he's been fine.

Good luck whatever happens.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

So I'm going to go ahead and call us weaned. I basically just told them that my babas were tired and not making as much milk. So when either one asked to nurse I just told them the milk was all gone. When they asked if I could put in more I told them I couldn't because I didn't have a baby anymore. I offered to snuggle and hug instead. We've done a lot of sitting in my lap and reading books at the normal times they would nurse. DD is having a harder time with it then DS but she hasn't asked in a week.

If you're wishy washy you'll just confuse her. If you're serious about being done you have to be done. She'll fight it and try for a week or so to get you to give in, but that's her job as your kid, to test your resolve. But she'll be fine. As long as your fine, so even if you're a mess, show her you're fine and excited about the new phase in your relationship. Oh and stay busy. That really helps too.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    If you're wishy washy you'll just confuse her. If you're serious about being done you have to be done. She'll fight it and try for a week or so to get you to give in, but that's her job as your kid, to test your resolve. But she'll be fine. As long as your fine, so even if you're a mess, show her you're fine and excited about the new phase in your relationship. Oh and stay busy. That really helps too.
    This is what I was trying to say.

I've just read the first and a few of the last pages and I have to say, you Mums who nurse longer than 2 years are wonderful. It's making me feel a little selfish that I might stop after 12 months (I'll probably post about this in a thread soon as not sure).

So just wanted to say, @llli*mama.p, I hope it went ok and you keep coming here for support as it certainly looks like a great place!

Well, with her sad, but trying really hard to be a big girl and not cry face, she told me this morning she isn't ready to give up nummies and doesn't want to be a big girl if she can't have nums. It was so sad. So I nursed her this morning. I'm thinking maybe I'll just go with a bedtime and morning only rule for now. Since her hour long nursing sessions are only a few minutes long now so it's a lot more tolerable. But I just felt like a total heel thinking that I was taking something away from her that obviously still means so much to her. So I'm not sure whether to consider this a mommy fail or not. She said she'd be ready to be done in 3 more days, but I'm sure that would be followed by another 3, and so on and so forth. I have no backbone, I swear.

This is NOT a mommy fail. NOT AT ALL.

Well, last night she agreed to try going to bed without nursing and she did fine. I had asked her why the plan had changed from being when she turned 5 to being 5 plus 3 days, and she just said she'd miss it when it was gone. But then agreed to skip it last night. She hasn't asked this morning. No idea how/if this will continue, but we'll see. I just don't like the thought of nursing a 5 y/o. So maybe I just need to find my backbone and stick with it. This mommy gig is such a struggle sometimes, knowing what the right thing to do is.

Well, she hasn't nursed since Thursday night. She wasn't happy about it Friday or Saturday night, but last night, when she asked and I said no, she just settled in for story and didn't ask again. I'm really hoping that we can succeed at this now. But at the same time, I feel kind of guilty. I mean, she's obviously old enough to remember nursing, and now her last memory of it is going to be her mom taking it away from her. I just hope she doesn't grow up feeling angry at me about it. I don't suppose anybody else has been where DD is now to tell me how they felt about it growing up? (I know, long shot, right?)

I still haven't nursed her, but she asked last night and was upset, and again this morning. Part of me wants to just stick with weaning her, and part of me feels bad and wonders if I should come up with some sort of agreement for weaning her slower, but I'm sure she'd balk at anything short of her way. I kinda miss nursing her, but mostly it's just really nice to not need to, and to know she can survive without it. My boobs don't feel any different, not at all like they're filling up, so I'm thinking that maybe my milk is gone despite her telling me that she still gets some.

For the last 6 months DD nursed, I was 90% sure I'd stopped making milk, but she SWORE there was milk inside to drink . I guess I'll never know for sure, but I'm pretty dang sure they were empty.