Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Weaning a 4 year old?

Default Re: Weaning a 4 year old?

No nursing since her psuedo nap yesterday, though she did ask once yesterday evening when it was inconvenient and never asked again later when she could have nursed. I wonder how long the process will take before she decides she's completely done. Everybody hope for me that it's soon! I wanna go away by myself for my birthday this year!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.p View Post
    No nursing since her psuedo nap yesterday, though she did ask once yesterday evening when it was inconvenient and never asked again later when she could have nursed. I wonder how long the process will take before she decides she's completely done. Everybody hope for me that it's soon! I wanna go away by myself for my birthday this year!
    I've been wondering this too...and also, when are they officially weaned?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

So last night I was asking DD when she would be done nursing completely and she said when she's 8. Uh, no sweetheart, mommy's about done. Anyway, I'm trying to encourage her toward being finished by/on her 5th birthday. Think it's realistic to just say that's when it is and stick to my guns on it? She's currently nursing at bedtime before story (every once in a great while she'll skip it, but that's not often) and sometimes in the mornings (we skip it on days we don't have time before school or the gym, when she sleeps with DH, etc.). Anyway, I just feel like I'm at a point where I want to be completely done. I know I experience a lot of worry, guilt, and embarrassment because of it, and I honestly think she's old enough that she should be able to face life without it, KWIM? So how do I gently give her the final nudge. If I wait for her to self-wean, it'll take years, and I'm just not willing to do it much longer. I want want want to be done before she's 5, but she is still really resisting it. Anyone got a copy of How Weaning Happens they'd be willing to lend me? I read it years ago, then gave it away thinking I'd still remember it all when she weaned. I had no idea she'd nurse this long!

What about planning a weaning party?

And this might be mean, but since she's at school, point out that the other kids don't nurse

I have a copy of the Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning somewhere...
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've actually thought about pointing out to her that none of her friends nurse. I've tried that with my neice, but she's 3 years older, and DD has automatically upped her cut-off age everytime my neice has a birthday, it seems. But maybe with her friends being the same age it'll work. But I warned her before she started school that she'd probably get teased if she brought it up, so I don't think she talks to them about it. For that reason, I'm kind of hesitant to mention a weaning party, because she'd want everybody she knows there and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable inviting all her classmates and parents to something like that. I am very self-conscious about the fact that she still nurses. Intellectually I know it's fine, but it's not something I want to discuss with others at this point. I don't want her friends' parents to be scared to let them come over and play because they think I'm a wierdo or something.

I just know I'm so ready to be done. My level of discomfort with it is growing and growing, and I know it's why I've kept from meeting people and making friends for so long. It keeps me from wanting to go to counseling for my depression because I'm afraid of what would happen if I told a counselor, and just so many other aspects of my life that it is affecting my confidence and comfort levels. I find myself really embarrassed when she tells people that we co-sleep and I'd be even more mortified if she mentioned that she still nurses. So I think it's time for it to be done if it's becoming that big of an issue to me, because she's gonna start sensing it from me at some point too, I'm sure.

When is her B-day? I have to say.....I could not have considered it right when he was entering preschool because he was already facing such BIG BIG changes and being faced with well...being BIG. When does she turn five? I am NOT suggesting that you aren't Saintly for continuing to nurse! You are. Just....I think she has done a REALLY REALLY good job of cutting back on her own and I think you should continue to gently nudge. And I SORT OF get you....you don't need to BROADCAST that you still nurse, but it doesn't need to be a source of Shame either Kelly. Oh. I shamelessly still Co-sleep with my 5.5 year old. Whatever. Sleep is sleep is sleep. I am getting mine.

Way too lazy for formula

I understand that, but I can't change my feelings about it. I'm done. Her birthday is in 2 more months. I would like her to be absolutely finished by then. Which means we have some work in the next couple months. She's doing well adjusting to school, shoot, she is totally thriving there and much happier these days. She already has several best friends and wakes up ready to go once she's finally awake (she's my girl, and does NOT appreciate early mornings). I really would like to move back into the bedroom with DH at some point, too. I'm not planning on pushing her into all of this at once, but it's time. She's a big, brave girl. I have no doubt she can handle the changes. And I'm not sure what you mean she's done a good job cutting back on her own. I have had to nudge her repeatedly to get to where we are. If she had her way, she'd still nurse all day everyday, I have no doubt. I'm glad for you that you don't feel embarrassed by it, but I do. And even if that wasn't the case, I'd still be done. I'm not looking for incentive to stretch this out. I want ideas on how to end it positively. I am finished.

Could you have a weaning party just you and G, and with your sister and niece?? Just do something really fun and special?? Is there any place by you that does tea parties?? Something "grown up" so she'll correlate not nursing with growing up or with change or whatever?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

And I'm not sure what you mean she's done a good job cutting back on her own. I have had to nudge her repeatedly to get to where we are. If she had her way, she'd still nurse all day everyday, I have no doubt. I'm glad for you that you don't feel embarrassed by it, but I do. And even if that wasn't the case, I'd still be done. I'm not looking for incentive to stretch this out. I want ideas on how to end it positively. I am finished.
    What? This thread dropped when she started actually going to bed without asking and you nudged her so well she was having days at a time this summer where she wasn't asking. So to me going from spending most of her free time asking to nurse out of boredom to the point of making you want to jump out of your skin- to going actual DAYS without it, even with nudging seems like GREAT progress. And sorry I wasn't trying to give you incentive....but THIS

Way too lazy for formula

Anyway, I'm trying to encourage her toward being finished by/on her 5th birthday. Think it's realistic to just say that's when it is and stick to my guns on it?
    Did not sound all FINITE and definite about when and where you were. It read like a question about gently wrapping it up.

Way too lazy for formula