Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Weaning a 4 year old?

Default Re: Weaning a 4 year old?

So last night, without any prompting from me whatsoever, DD decided she didn't want to nurse before bed. She told DH this morning that she's getting too big to need nums anymore. Not sure what to expect from her after that. I did tell her the other day that she's grown so much that her mouth is getting too big to nurse comfortably anymore, since she seems to be all teeth anymore. I really hope this is the beginning of her self-weaning. I'm ready to be done, but not comfortable with giving anything more than a nudge. I would love for her to be done before she starts school.

thats a great step...

She went to sleep last night without nursing again. I'm really hoping this sticks!

good luck! It is bittersweet, but sounds like it might be more sweet than bitter by now!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Whoa! Go Grace!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellyann View Post
    good luck! It is bittersweet, but sounds like it might be more sweet than bitter by now!!
    Yeah, I had a couple seconds where I was like "aww, my baby's growing up" and then the thought of the sad state of my nipples entered my mind and it was like "Hallelujah!" She's definitely been thinking about the change and processing it, because she has been talking about it a lot, but she definitely finally seems ready on her own. I'm so proud and happy! It's made me focus more on treasuring the morning/nap nursing sessions, knowing that we may well (hopefully) be in the final stage of nursing.

That's great!!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

So Monday night she asked to nurse at bedtime and nursed one side for like ten seconds. Tuesday she did not nurse at all! Yesterday she nursed to sleep at naptime, and so far today she nursed this morning when she woke up (after the puppy nipped her ) and for a bit when she claimed she was going to nap, but didn't. This is so different from what I'm used to. She definitely seems to have decided she's ready to do it, yet at the same time I can see her struggling with it. She's been moodier and argumentative. So we'll see where we go from here. Definitely foreign territory now.

No nursing since her psuedo nap yesterday, though she did ask once yesterday evening when it was inconvenient and never asked again later when she could have nursed. I wonder how long the process will take before she decides she's completely done. Everybody hope for me that it's soon! I wanna go away by myself for my birthday this year!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.p View Post
    No nursing since her psuedo nap yesterday, though she did ask once yesterday evening when it was inconvenient and never asked again later when she could have nursed. I wonder how long the process will take before she decides she's completely done. Everybody hope for me that it's soon! I wanna go away by myself for my birthday this year!
    I've been wondering this too...and also, when are they officially weaned?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby