Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Weaning a 4 year old?

Default Re: Weaning a 4 year old?

Ugh, with DD sick right now, I have kind of regressed with this, and the shortened nursing sessions only lasted for a week or so. So she's nursing for like 30-60 minutes each morning and night (trying to get her to shorten it with songs, etc. has failed, since she'll just bawl and say she's not ready for me to sing yet, etc. If anything at all, it's shortened them by like 5 minutes here or there.), and also before and after if she takes a nap (about 50% of the time). She's been falling asleep nursing since she's been sick, regardless of where we're at. She has actually been taking 2 naps a day, so I know she's not feeling good. Anyway, I digress. She just chomped me as she fell asleep for nap just now, and it just gets the adrenaline and the anger about it going, even though I know she was asleep and it was obviously not intentional. But I don't know what to do about this. I really NEED her to wean for my sanity's sake. I just can't do it anymore. I know part of my frustration is this horrible flu she has, but even once she's well, it'll still be a struggle. I don't know what to do or have any kind of plan. I've tried the idea of a weaning party - that was a big bust. She lost it completely. I've thought about telling her she can't start school until she weans, or that she has to be weaned by the time preschool starts this fall, or by her birthday (which seems VERY far away right now with it being in November). Part of me just still really wants her to self-wean, especially now that she's older. I don't want her last memories of nursing to be me denying her/weaning her against her will. I think a big part of why I've turned into such a hermit with her lately is because she'll start talking about nursing to whomever, and she's old enough now that I don't really want people to know and have to deal with the flak, but then I don't want to make her feel like it's something she needs to be ashamed of, just because I feel that way sometimes. I know she's told me she'll be done when she's 5, but I'm sure that's just because that still feels so very far away to her, and she'll probably change her mind as it approaches. I know she gets some milk, because I see it on my nipple afterward from time to time, but I was just surprised last night when she threw up because she'd be nursing for almost an hour when she fell asleep, and there was NOTHING resembling milk in her puke. So even though I fantasize about taking something to dry up my milk, now I wonder if it is already anyway, and she just wants the act of nursing more than the milk. Are there ANY resources out there for weaning at this age?

awe I would write more but it's realy realy past bedtime and If I don't get sarah down she'll be a bear for school in the am..

Hang in there. I do think if mom isn't happy its way ok to wean, push them a little bit.

So last night, without any prompting from me whatsoever, DD decided she didn't want to nurse before bed. She told DH this morning that she's getting too big to need nums anymore. Not sure what to expect from her after that. I did tell her the other day that she's grown so much that her mouth is getting too big to nurse comfortably anymore, since she seems to be all teeth anymore. I really hope this is the beginning of her self-weaning. I'm ready to be done, but not comfortable with giving anything more than a nudge. I would love for her to be done before she starts school.

thats a great step...

She went to sleep last night without nursing again. I'm really hoping this sticks!

good luck! It is bittersweet, but sounds like it might be more sweet than bitter by now!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Whoa! Go Grace!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kellyann View Post
    good luck! It is bittersweet, but sounds like it might be more sweet than bitter by now!!
    Yeah, I had a couple seconds where I was like "aww, my baby's growing up" and then the thought of the sad state of my nipples entered my mind and it was like "Hallelujah!" She's definitely been thinking about the change and processing it, because she has been talking about it a lot, but she definitely finally seems ready on her own. I'm so proud and happy! It's made me focus more on treasuring the morning/nap nursing sessions, knowing that we may well (hopefully) be in the final stage of nursing.

That's great!!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

So Monday night she asked to nurse at bedtime and nursed one side for like ten seconds. Tuesday she did not nurse at all! Yesterday she nursed to sleep at naptime, and so far today she nursed this morning when she woke up (after the puppy nipped her ) and for a bit when she claimed she was going to nap, but didn't. This is so different from what I'm used to. She definitely seems to have decided she's ready to do it, yet at the same time I can see her struggling with it. She's been moodier and argumentative. So we'll see where we go from here. Definitely foreign territory now.