Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Weaning a 4 year old?

Default Re: Weaning a 4 year old?

Yesterday at both naptime and bedtime, DD nursed, then had stories, then went to sleep without nursing. It took quite a while both times, but she did it. So hopefully it will get easier. Both times she only nursed like 5 seconds and then said she was ready for her story. I just told her that she had to learn how to fall asleep without nursing so she can start doing sleepovers (she is obsessed with them, and keeps begging to have one with MIL or her cousin). Which works out perfectly, because next week, MIL is going to come stay with her overnight so DH and I can go do something. It will be my first night away from her! If I know she CAN fall asleep without nursing, hopefully it will make it easier for me to relax and have a good time. I just hope MIL is prepared for the amount of bed-hogging/squirming/kicking/rolling around that this child does!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.p View Post
    Yesterday at both naptime and bedtime, DD nursed, then had stories, then went to sleep without nursing. It took quite a while both times, but she did it. So hopefully it will get easier. Both times she only nursed like 5 seconds and then said she was ready for her story. I just told her that she had to learn how to fall asleep without nursing so she can start doing sleepovers (she is obsessed with them, and keeps begging to have one with MIL or her cousin). Which works out perfectly, because next week, MIL is going to come stay with her overnight so DH and I can go do something. It will be my first night away from her! If I know she CAN fall asleep without nursing, hopefully it will make it easier for me to relax and have a good time. I just hope MIL is prepared for the amount of bed-hogging/squirming/kicking/rolling around that this child does!
    That sounds great that she went to sleep without nursing! And she still got boob before bed. Sounds like a win/win for both of you.

I've started getting more firm with Lucy's nipple pinching. I tell her if she does it, we will stop the nursing session. I had to do it a couple times and she got MAD and upset. But she stops herself now when she starts to pinch me. It makes nursing a bit more enjoyable for me. I would enjoy it more if we were nursing a little less than EVERY 20 minutes!!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Oh, and she hasn't asked to nurse this morning, and I'm not offering. This seems so strange.

Kelly, I am so happy for you that you had a good day yesterday. I think if you can get the nursing down to a lesser amount, you will be happier. I can.not imagine getting up and nursing for 45 minutes first thing in the morning. You are a saint.

When I weaned Ryan from nursing to sleep, I started by having him nurse while we read our two stories. As soon as the books were done, Henry and I sang Twinkle, Twinkle, to him, then he was done. There were a few days of protests, but I just told him that we could snuggle instead. A few weeks ago, we decreased it to where we read the 1st book, then he can nurse during the second book, then we sing and he is done. The singing actually works quite nice as a cue for Ryan. If he nurses in the middle of the night and I need to unlatch him, I can just tell him I am going to sing, sing the song, and he will unlatch without a fuss most days.

Goodluck!

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Not a saint, more like a sucker! I'm trying to make sure to do more fun stuff with her, and so far it seems to be going well. I just always worry if there's a reason she really needs it, or if it's a comfort thing. I'm thinking more comfort after this.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.p View Post
    Not a saint, more like a sucker! I'm trying to make sure to do more fun stuff with her, and so far it seems to be going well. I just always worry if there's a reason she really needs it, or if it's a comfort thing. I'm thinking more comfort after this.
    At her age, I would have to agree that it is almost completely for comfort rather than a physical need. Doing more fun stuff with her will also probably help you as well! Have fun!

Hi, I'm Allison

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

I'm late to the party and it sounds like things are going well, but I thought I'd throw my two cents out there since I am currently weaning DS who will be 4 in five weeks.

What is working for us is the song thing. I started this back when he was 18 months though and thought he'd wean while I was pregnant with DD I basically just warn him I'll sing X song so many times and he is done. I've also instituted the 5 second rule. If he wants to nurse at a random point in the day he gets 5 seconds. The same with DD even though she is only 2 y/o.

I've noticed a lot of times he wants to nurse because he is feeling disconnected from me. If I don't want to nurse him I'll invite him to sit in my lap and snuggle or watch a quick video with me on pbs' website. Something that he is getting my one on one attention but without me taking my shirt off. I honestly think that is his biggest thing, he wants to feel connected to me. So if I find a different way to meet that need, then the nursing becomes less important.

And if your DH refuses to help with bedtime then just continue to work the sleepover angle. I always say you have to find their currency to motivate them. If a sleepover is what she wants most then offer to have a sleepover weaning party or whatever.

But just know I'm with you. I am to the point where I really really dislike nursing. And I feel bad because I feel like I have to let DD nurse for as long as I've let DS. And the thought of letting anyone nurse for another 2 years makes me

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I'm glad to hear you are maybe seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I just wanted to say, don't feel bad about establishing limits! I am establishing limits with Will and he is only 15 months, but if he bites, he's put down and done for a while.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Things went pretty well yesterday. No nap (well, she gave up trying and woke me just as I dozed off ) and last night was really hard to stick to my guns, as she begged for about 10 minutes, but then she stopped, and that was that. She was out within 5 minutes. Didn't nurse again this morning (she busted me in the shower when she woke, so she joined me) and no nap again today, just some quiet time on her little princess couch with a movie. I cannot tell you how much better I have felt the last couple of days without having to nurse her for HOURS each day. And she hasn't been asking between naps/bedtimes, so that's nice to not have to deal with tears from that either. And I'm finding that I really enjoy her again, and we have been spending a lot more time just hanging out having a good time. I'm really hoping it keeps up like this. Oh, and I can't wait for MIL to babysit overnight next week!

Kelly, I am so happy to hear this. I really hope that you guys can keep this up and that you can "stick to your guns". She needs a happy mama and you deserve to be happy and at least feel better. You have done an AWESOME job nursing her for 4 years. Don't feel anything but proud of yourself for making it this far and now for establishing some limits. You have done a great job!

Hi, I'm Allison

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70