Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lack of milk in one breast

Default Lack of milk in one breast

Ever since Elizabeth was born (3 months ago) I've been struggling with sore nipple on the right breast. About a month ago we had to introduce lactose free formula as she's lactose intolerant, however I've been slowly reintroducing additional breastfeeds (with colief) so she's down to only 2 bottles now. I have been pumping as much as I can when she was on the bottle. Now, however, she loathes feeding on the right breast, she's on and off all the time and does not appear to settle, in the end she falls asleep (with exhaustion I guess). When I pump the breast I only get 1/2 - 1 oz. There's no problems with the other breast. How can I get production up in the right breast? I'm toying with the idea of swinging all feeds over to the left breast (she's already having 3 out of 4 feeds off this breast anyway).
    Also, currently she's breastfeeding at bedtime, middle of the night and the morning (2 feeds, one being the nasty breast...), I would like her to start feeding in the afternoon too, however, as I haven't been able to pump in the afternoons (been on holiday over Christmas) I don't know how effective this will be. Shall I offer the breast then top her up with the bottle? Will her feeding during the afternoon (or even pumping) affect the milk available to her at bedtime?
    Sorry for long post - can't wait until the breastfeeding counsellor's back at work so I can pick her brains too.....
    Thanks ever so much!

Default Re: Lack of milk in one breast

Welcome and congratulations on the baby! Sorry about the sore nipple.

About a month ago we had to introduce lactose free formula as she's lactose intolerant, however I've been slowly reintroducing additional breastfeeds (with colief) so she's down to only 2 bottles now.
    Are you sure she's lactose intolerant? Lactose intolerance is common in adults but extremely rare in babies. When a baby has an issue with mom's milk, it's more often a problem related to a) excess lactose due to oversupply or b) intolerance to proteins in mom's milk that come from something mom is eating (often cow's milk).

How can I get production up in the right breast?
    It's simple: the more often and more completely you drain that breast, the more milk that breast will make. Here are some ways to improve supply on the right:
    1. Start more feeds on the right. Babies drain the breast more thoroughly at the beginning of feedings.
    2. Pump the right in addition to nursing.

I'm toying with the idea of swinging all feeds over to the left breast (she's already having 3 out of 4 feeds off this breast anyway).
    Lots of moms feed on only 1 breast. However, maintaining some supply in the right may be worth doing because:
    1. It will maintain supply in case you have a problem on the left.
    2. It will prevent additional lopsidedness- which is an aesthetic issue for some moms.

Also, currently she's breastfeeding at bedtime, middle of the night and the morning (2 feeds, one being the nasty breast...), I would like her to start feeding in the afternoon too, however, as I haven't been able to pump in the afternoons (been on holiday over Christmas) I don't know how effective this will be. Shall I offer the breast then top her up with the bottle? Will her feeding during the afternoon (or even pumping) affect the milk available to her at bedtime?
    Here's a link on how to wean from formula supplements: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Lack of milk in one breast

Since I am also in the same boat, one breast virtually dried up, I was wondering if the pumping is working and if you are getting your supply back? I have been pumping for 2 days and getting about 3 drops and no increase yet in addition to 9 Fenugreeks a day...