Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll about hunger cues

Default Poll about hunger cues

Okay, I don't really know how to make an official poll ...but I wanted to ask all you ladies what kind of cues your LOs give to let you know they are hungry!

My DS is 4 months now...when he was younger it was so easy...he would suck on his hand and it would be a sure thing that he was hungry. Ever since he was 2 1/2 - 3 months he discovered his hands are yummy! Now he sucks on his fingers, bites his hands and anything else that he gets his hands on! (Maybe a little teething too).

So I was wondering what other babies do...because I've just been going by his attitude and how long it's been since he last ate.

Thanks!
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Default Re: Poll about hunger cues

I remember when my son threw me off with the hand sucking switcheroo thing, that was frustrating! After about 4mo or so, (with the onset of sucking his fingers/hands all of the time) I've kind of known that he's hungry *about* every three hours so I watch for him to be hungry sometime before and after. What I watch for is that he usually gets whiny. Otherwise, he really gives me no physical hints like he used to. If he doesn't get whiny by 2hr 45 min or 3 hrs, I just try giving him the boob to see if he's hungry and he usually is!

Sucking on the hands threw me off too- I used to rely on that, and still do sometimes. My dd is only 3 mos so maybe this is why, but she still starts flailing her arms a whole lot when she gets hungry. She also will start whining- very suddenly I might add. One minute she is smiling, the next crying.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

My 15 weeks old threw me off with the hand sucking too. Now we get turbo sucking and she tries to latch on before I get ready to feed her..

like MomofAaron, we kind of know that our dd gets hungry every 3-4 hours. when she started sucking on her hands, i'd feed her...but when she started sucking on her hand all the time, i'd wait for her to get fussy while sucking her hands...that's when i knew she was getting hungry (which coincidentally was about 3 hours after i last fed her).

during her last growth spurt, she was always sucking on her hands and was fussy more often...so of course, i was nursing her more often!

HTH! good luck!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by Avery's Mom View Post
    My 15 weeks old threw me off with the hand sucking too. Now we get turbo sucking and she tries to latch on before I get ready to feed her..

dd does the same thing... its like she's ravished but i KNOW its only been maybe 40 mins since she last nursed for 20 hahah

Any time I have ANY doubts that ds may be hungry, even if it's only been half an hour, I put him to the boob. Sometimes he nurses for a short time just for comfort, other times it is the real deal. I still struggle with looking for hunger cues at 5.5 mo, especially since he wants to put everything in his mouth anyway. I don't know how much this helped you, but just know that there are other mommies who are never 100% sure if their LO is hungry.

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Thanks mamas...I've been going by when he gets fussy too, just wanted to see if there was something I might be missing! I offer whenever he is fussy - and he usually wants to eat. He still eats pretty often (about every 2 hours), so if it's been awhile I also offer. Glad to see that's what you gals do too!
    Jenny

, , , cloth diapering

I've found it gets easier again when they get older. Now that DS is almost 9 months and very mobile, he comes over and starts pulling on me and making these panting, kind of desperate noises. He's so busy it seems to hit him all of a sudden that he's starving.

Yeah, I've been thinking it will be easier (and cute!) when he can come over and "ask" for it!
    Jenny

, , , cloth diapering