Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving bf toddler for the first time

Default Leaving bf toddler for the first time

I have the opportunity to join my husband on an all expense paid trip to Maui later this month. I was planning to go however now I am having second thoughts! My son is soon to be 17 months old and is still nursing 4-5 times a day. He is drinking cows milk and eating plenty of solids, so that isn't a concern. However I am afraid he'll wean while I am gone. I have worked so hard to nurse him for this long and would like to continue until he is at least 2. Is the trip worth it? I am thinking perhaps I should just stay home!!!!

Default Re: Leaving bf toddler for the first time

How many days is the trip? Is there any way you can bring him with you?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We'd be gone for four full days- sadly enough we can't bring him with us

It's definitely a personal decision. In four days I don't think he would wean. It is possible he would, but I don't think it would happen that quickly. If you decide to go I would absolutely recommend bringing a pump and pumping a few times a day firstly to keep your supply up, but also to relieve discomfort. I went on a 2 day canoe trip when my daughter was about 18 mos old and left my pump, thinking I wouldn't need it. I was in SO MUCH pain and so engorged by the time I got home I could barely latch her on.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I am going on a short trip and will be gone a Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. my son will be 17 months.
    he will not really take a bottle of pumped milk. I am wondering if I should pump and DH can put it in a sippy. DS drinks cow juice etc, and eats solids well. I do plan on bringing my manual pump but am unsure if I should save it or dump it (the horror of liquid gold down the drain)
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009

You can try giving it to him in a sippy. Over the age of 1 they don't really need expressed milk when you aren't there, especially if they eat a good diet of solids, so it's not necessary but might be nice for your DH to have as an option if needed. I left bottles for my daughter on the trip I mentioned in my previous post, but she wouldn't take them. It seemed she only wanted it if it was coming from the tap.

As for pump and dumping, it depends on whether you'd use the milk when you got home and how much of a hassle it would be to store it and travel with it.
    --Anonymous

I recently went away for 3 days and left my 14mo dd for the first long trip. It worked out fine. I was engorged and had to pump 2x a day after the first 24 hours, but she was fine with my husband and cows milk until I returned. I did loose some supply which I was surprised by, but since I was only pumping twice a day, I guess I shouldn't have been. I just figured my supply would be more steady after a year. She quickly brought it back with frequent nursings when I got back. Don't worry!

Thank you all so much for your reassuring words. I can't tell you how much I appreciate them. I'll be bringing a pump- although I never did have a ton of luck with the darn thing. It's just not the same! Fingers crossed it all goes well

3 weeks ago I went on a trip for 3 days and left my 16 month old for the first time. I took my pump and pumped every 3-4-5 hours because I was afriad of losing my 20 ounce a day supply and didn't want that to be an issue. I pumped in the airport, at our hotel in between touristy stuff, and in the rental car. (My son usually nurses like 4-6 times a day) (And I have a double electric pump-the pump in style)
    When I got home, he did fine.. we resumed breastfeeding as normal.

I guess I'm glad I got a break just to have one.. but wish I hadn't gone too just because i really missed him lol

I don't think your baby will wean while you are gone unless you WANT to.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

just returned from my trip. (DS is almost 18mos. drinks from sippy cups and eats plenty of solids) I was gone from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. I am NAK right now, because he had a nap and wanted to nurse more and went back to sleep in my arms.

DH had problems with comforting son at night, because DS mostly nurses twice a night. DS would thrash and box daddy and then daddy would rock or walk with DS but then when he laid him down, he woke up right away. They slept together on the air mattress in DS room or in the recliner. He took a small amount of breastmilk in sippy cup at 530am and "sucked" cowjuice too (DHs words). (I did not pump enough for this time) when your milk is inside of you, it is surprising how much he really eats at this early feeding.

The nighttime and naps were the hardest part of me being gone. and even when I'm home, I feel like I just give in and nurse him to sleep. so my son has not really learned any self soothing techniques and does not really have a transition item either.

While I was gone I pumped about 3-4 times a day. so I guess we have alot in the freezer for preparing to wean. I cannot let the baby self wean because, I feel that I may be going back to work soon.

I have been offering the BM in sippy cup during the day when DS just needs "a couple of tugs" (FILs words)
    You can find me

DS born 9/2009