Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shatavari

Default Shatavari

Does anyone know if Shatavari is safe to use to increase milk supply? And is it ok to take at the same time as fenugreek? Thanks!

Default Re: Shatavari

From the info I can find, it sounds like there isn't much danger of side effects unless you're allergic to asparagus.

According to the entry for shatavari on lowmilksupply.org (which I'm fairly comfortable is a reputable source -- it's run by lactation consultants who are also LLL Leaders and who have co-written some LLL publications), there is some question about whether it is effective as a galactagogue, but mothers have felt it helped them.

I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed whether shatavari and fenugreek can be taken together, but the lowmilksupply.org entry also mentions a product that combines the two along with other ingredients. So you could infer that they are sometimes taken together.

I hope this helps a little! There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there about shatavari. If you decide to try it, let us know how it works!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--