Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Issues...plain and simple

Default Issues...plain and simple

Hey LLLI, I'm a mother of three and I've breastfed all of my kids. My newest addition was born 5lbs 12oz. She is currently 2 months and weighs 10lbs 4oz I am happy with that but she seems to be really hungry at times like 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning and there doesn't seem to be any milk... How do I increase my supply for night feedings?

During the day she is basically fine until she sleeps for her 3 to 4hr nap. When she wakes up she is extremely hungry, I usually have to feed her from both sides twice. Then she goes through this crying fit for about a half hour if I don't just let her continue to suck. She refuses to take a pacifier (I said I wasn't going to give her one but...I was desperate)

Finally, there is NO POOP! For days she will poot and fuss but there will be nothing coming out. When she does it doesn't seem like enough for her to have gone for two or three days with no bm.

What should I do, if anything?
    Happy Married Mommy of 3
    B.A~4 Years old
    T.J~21 Months old
    S.A~4 Months old

Default Re: Issues...plain and simple

Congrats on the new baby! If your baby has already shot up to 10 lbs at 2 months old, you must have the fundamentals of breastfeeding right, and tweaking the fine points is a lot easier than fixing the fundamentals.

I would be surprised if you had low supply in the wee hours of the night. Most women notice that their supply is more abundant in the night, not less, because prolactin levels generally peak in the night and then decline throughout the day. Can you describe the behavior that's making you feel like there's no milk? And can you tell us if you're taking any hormonal contraception?

If you want to increase supply at a particular time of day, the key is to remove more milk, more frequently at that time. The increased demand will trigger increased supply. You could accomplish this by nursing more, or by pumping in addition to nursing. A cup of fenugreek tea before bed probably wouldn't hurt, either.

It sounds like your baby also has a fussy time in the afternoon/evening, right? If so, it's very normal, and the best thing you can do is... You guessed it: nurse, nurse, nurse. Just go with the flow and she will grow out of it.

Regarding poop- as babies grow their digestive systems mature and they start using breastmilk very completely, with little waste left over. When this happens- and it happens at a different time for every baby- poop frequency slows down a lot. As long as your baby continues to gain weight and the poop is soft when passed, it's okay for her to go up to a week with no bowel movement.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She sucks for a few minutes then pulls away from my breast, she cries, then latches back on... she does this about five times. Most of the time I have to walk her around an dthen try to feed her again after about a half hour.

I keep hearing about fenugeek tea and supplements, does it really work?

I wouldn't be so concerned with the lack of poop if she didn't keep so much gas because of it...
    Happy Married Mommy of 3
    B.A~4 Years old
    T.J~21 Months old
    S.A~4 Months old

how many times in 24 hours would you say she is asking to nurse?

not that I think you've got a problem going on but this might be useful to you:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

Is there any reason you can't just let her continue to suck? If for some reason you aren't making enough milk after her nap all you would need to do is let her continue to que your body to make milk and in a few days times there would be enough there. No poop is not a problem as long as when it comes it's either mustardy or the color and consistency of peanut butter. You don't have problem unless you have dark hard pellets. Like rabbit poop.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Is there any reason you can't just let her continue to suck? If for some reason you aren't making enough milk after her nap all you would need to do is let her continue to que your body to make milk and in a few days times there would be enough there. No poop is not a problem as long as when it comes it's either mustardy or the color and consistency of peanut butter. You don't have problem unless you have dark hard pellets. Like rabbit poop.

Truly toxic baby toots are one of the unadvertised bonuses of parenting. It's really very normal for toots to become more noticeable when baby starts going longer between poops.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours
    Happy Married Mommy of 3
    B.A~4 Years old
    T.J~21 Months old
    S.A~4 Months old

thats good time for a baby that young.

hang in there.