Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Normal amount?

Question Normal amount?

I'm breastfeeding my 2 month old, and I'm feeling like I don't produce enough milk. I only feed him formula about once or twice a week at most when I really have to, but other than that, I try my hardest to breastfeed. I purchased a Medela In-Style pump to help express milk, and that's what I use to breastfeed. I don't get him to latch on because it takes too long, so I end up pumping religiously every 2 hours. I only make about an ounce from each breast every 2 hours which doesn't seem like much. I don't want to pump any more than I already am, because once I start school, I don't want to have to run across campus to the nurse's office to pump every hour and miss class.
    I was just curious how much milk other breastfeeding moms out there produce and how often they pump or feed. Besides pumping more, is there anything else I can do to increase my milk supply? How long does it take for milk to dry up?

Thanks!

Default Re: Normal amount?

Welcome and congratulations on making it to 2 months!

I'm feeling like I don't produce enough milk.
    Can you tell us why you feel this way? If your baby is producing adequate wet and poopy diapers (see this reference) and gaining adequate weight, he is getting enough to eat and your production is fine. Good output = good input.

I purchased a Medela In-Style pump to help express milk, and that's what I use to breastfeed. I don't get him to latch on because it takes too long, so I end up pumping religiously every 2 hours. I only make about an ounce from each breast every 2 hours which doesn't seem like much.
    So are you exclusively pumping? If so, I encourage you to try to get your baby to nurse (This link covers the how-to). Pumping is generally not as effective at maintaining or increasing supply as nursing is.

This link covers what it normal when it comes to pumping, and how to increase supply when pumping. Normal pump output does vary a lot, but most moms seem to report making around 1.5 oz per hour.

I don't want to pump any more than I already am, because once I start school, I don't want to have to run across campus to the nurse's office to pump every hour and miss class.
    Can you talk to your school administration? Running across campus is clearly a waste of your precious time. Perhaps you can get access to a private space closer to where you need to be.

Besides pumping more, is there anything else I can do to increase my milk supply?
    1. Nurse the baby directly.
    2. Herbal remedies for increasing supply:http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...bal-rem_f.html
    3. Rx drugs for increasing supply:http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

How long does it take for milk to dry up?
    This is extremely variable. Some moms actually lactate to a small degree for YEARS after they wean.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"