Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase and frozen stash

Default Lipase and frozen stash

I have close to 300 oz in my frozen stash and a few days ago, I decided to start rotating the older packs out. So I defrosted and gave it to my baby. She wouldn't take it. I tasted it and it had a metallic taste to it. I'm assuming it's from my high lipase levels. I randomly selected from the stash an they all tasted tye same. I'm pretty much broken hearted right now since I worked hard to get that stash in place. Is there anything I can do with the stash aside from dumping it all?

Thanks!

Default Re: Lipase and frozen stash

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beesmom View Post
    I have close to 300 oz in my frozen stash and a few days ago, I decided to start rotating the older packs out. So I defrosted and gave it to my baby. She wouldn't take it. I tasted it and it had a metallic taste to it. I'm assuming it's from my high lipase levels. I randomly selected from the stash an they all tasted tye same. I'm pretty much broken hearted right now since I worked hard to get that stash in place. Is there anything I can do with the stash aside from dumping it all?

Thanks!
    From what I've read you can bring it almost to a boil, and this reduces the lipase. Not sure though cause I have never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dhiannianmor View Post
    From what I've read you can bring it almost to a boil, and this reduces the lipase. Not sure though cause I have never tried it.
    This needs to be done before the milk is frozen.

Have you tried giving it to your baby? The milk is not bad, it's just started digesting. If your baby will drink it, you have no worries. If your baby won't, you could donate it to a milk bank or on milkshare.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Have you tried mixing it half with fresh?

Post Re: Lipase and frozen stash

Yes, you could try mixing it and see if she will take it... and milk banks WILL take it because they end up mixing it with other moms' milks... otherwise in the future you may want to try scalding before storing, as a PP mentioned. There is another thread in this forum about scalding. I've been scalding for a week now and it works. My milk, left for 24 hrs, smells like olives. Scalded, it smells normal for at least a few days (I never leave it longer - I pump one day what my DD drinks the next).
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

I haven't tried mixing it yet with fresh. For some reason, after I gave her the frozen milk, she started refusing the bottle. She's slowly starting to get the hang of feeding from the bottle again and I'll probably give it a few more days before I'll try feeding her half frozen and half fresh. I don't want to traumatize her again especially since I've already gone back to work. If she doesn't take it, I'll just donate the milk to the milk bank. If my baby can't use it, I'd rather that someone else will be able to use it than toss it down the drain.

I really wish I knew about lipase when I was just beginning to build up my stash. Oh well... I will definitely start scalding my milk from now on.

Thank you for the suggestions.