Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRRRRR. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Unhappy GRRRRR. Any advice greatly appreciated!

I'm so sorry I haven't been around here for months and months and months, I'll try to do better.

I really need advice. I was really truly blessed to have a newborn and infant who latched perfectly and we didn't have many breastfeeding problems. She went through a scratching/pinching phase at about six months that had my belly bleeding, but got over that. Now she's 17-mnonths-old and PINCHING my "unused" nipple and scratching and actually taking CHUNKS out of my breasts. I have a mommy necklace I try to distract her with, I play "finger games" with her, I put her hand on the outside of my shirt. The other night I was almost crying while getting ready for bed because she has caused so much damage that nursing hurts no matter how good her latch may be. I do NOT want to wean, but I'm so sick of cringing when that little hand moves over to my breast and she pulls down my tank or up my shirt and actually yanks away from me if I try to restrain her.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get through this. And any suggestions on what I should do to lessen the pain in the mean time?
    Kirsten, Full-Time Mother To:
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

I am generally or or both
    I cloth diaper and nurse in public, proudly!

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

Default Re: GRRRRR. Any advice greatly appreciated!

way ok to teach some nursing manners.

IF you pinch/hurt mommy your done.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    way ok to teach some nursing manners.

IF you pinch/hurt mommy your done.
    Yup. Keep it very consistent. If she hurts you, nursing stops. Period. It's a relationship and neither of you gets to abuse it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I doubt she'll wean at this point. Calmly remove the hand, unlatch her and tell her no more nursing because that hurts. My son was awful. I taught him how to caress the other nipple instead of pinching. He really would've loved to have them both in his mouth, lol, so that was a happy medium for us. But you don't have to let her touch the other breast at all, if you don't want to. She's old enough at this point to learn her nursing manners.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My guy's only twelve months and I stop nursing if he hurts me. i say "ouch, that hurts mama." and put him down.

And i only make one boob available at a time. Otherwise it's mayhem. he looks down and two nipples and thinks that he's in heaven. But then proceeds to pluck, pinch, zerbert, nip and squirt them. Try and do a little more about only one out at a time - i know you said she pulls them out, but try and make them more inaccessible.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    Try and do a little more about only one out at a time - i know you said she pulls them out, but try and make them more inaccessible.
    A really difficult-to-open bra or tank would probably be your friend right now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When mine starting this, I thought it was cute at first because he would just hold it, then the torture started. Pinching, twisting, you name it. I absolutely cannot stand for him to even brush across it even with a shirt on. I just make sure to wear a shirt that only allows access to one side and only my breast. After I taught him not to play with my other nipple, he changed focus to my belly button, hence a shirt covering that as well. It took quite some time though. About a month and a half. Now he goes nowhere close. Good luck!

Great advice Ladies! Darnit though, this means I can't wear super loose shirts without a bra/tank at home. I love the ease of just lifting up my sweatshirt. But you are ALL right about me having to restrict access and teach some manners. I don't let her kick me when changing her diaper (one of her other delightful "games") so I don't know why I was so hesitant to be firm with her nursing behavior.

Oh, I know.

It's because I'm batcrap crazy and totally worried about her weaning too early (in my mind). I want her to breastfeed until age four. At least. And I get all worked up about that not happening. Don't know why. I'm just batcrap crazy. So much so I dream about starting to pump again to increase my (as far as I can tell perfectly fine) supply...CRAZY!
    Kirsten, Full-Time Mother To:
    Veronica Nova
    8/9/2009

I am generally or or both
    I cloth diaper and nurse in public, proudly!

And with our ped's blessing, I'm raising a vegetarian baby who is half my height at 1-year-old!

Ugh, I've been up and down with this with Joe. He is quite the "twiddler." I practically wear ARMOR (okay, like a bra and two shirts) to bed, partly to keep my torso warm because he kicks off my covers, partly to keep his pinchy little fingers away from the "unused" boob! And he kicks me in the groin all night. I dunno. I try to be consistent about it, and during the day, it's pretty effective. At night, it's harder, and I just do my best. Anyway, I feel your pain. Quite literally.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

DS2 started pinching my breast or slapping me while nursing to sleep at night. I had some success redirecting him to pet my breast nicely. I figured it worked with the cat, so what the heck.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine