Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: blood in spit up

Unhappy blood in spit up

Soooo...2 days ago (LO is 10 weeks old now) my midwife and IBCLC determined that I most likely have Raynaud's in the nipple - it would explain everything: mastitis 4 times, cracked nipples since the first week - never healing, the spasms that I experience between feedings and the change in nipple color I sometimes observe in between feedings. Anyway - they started me on a med for it and I was SO hopeful that this would be our last battle. I made it through 10 weeks without ever supplementing once - despite how much extreme pain I've been in during and in between feedings. I was so proud of myself - and had decided that if in 2 weeks the meds for Raynaud's weren't working, then I would reassess our situation.

BUT, then this morning LO for the first time ever spit up a decent amount of blood. He spits up about 2-4 times between each feeding, but never blood. I called the on-call nurse, and she called my ped. and they said if he does it again today to bring him straight to the ER. But if he doesn't, they will just see him tomorrow. But then they also told me NOT to give him any of my breast milk until then. They told me to continue pumping, but not to give it to him in order to rule out anything that might be in my milk. I asked them why, if I could pump and see if there was blood, then why I couldn't give it to him and the nurse just told me "doctor's orders".

I am SO bummed out, I started bawling. I only have enough frozen milk (which they said b/c it predates the incident it is OK to give him) to get through about 7 feedings (if he's not super hungry today) - so I am going to HAVE to give him formula. If I had been prepared to have to supplement, I am so anal, I would have researched formulas for days...now I am going to end up just using one of the samples sent to me. I always said "as long as LO is thriving and doing well on the breast, there is no need to stop"...and then this.

To top it all of, DH is gone until Jan 29, and family is 3,000 miles away. I do have wonderful friends, but they all have children of their own and can't drop everything to come sit with me.

I just needed to get it off my chest...I have been working so hard to be able to breastfeed, and never once went to the sample of formula in the 10 weeks of pain...and now just like that I have to stop. I know it's not the end of the world, and I know I can start him on the breast hopefully tomorrow...so I'm probably being melodramatic...but I needed to vent.

TIA for "listening".

Default Re: blood in spit up

Hey Momma.

I hope it goes well tomorrow and you get the all clear

This is just paranoid me... I know the American medical system (insurance etc) is a little different to what I know. But if my LO spat up a significant amount of blood I would ignore the doc and take them into the ER anyway.
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!

Question Re: blood in spit up

He has spit up a few times since with no blood, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Does anyone have any advice to giving him formula for the first time? He is OK (most of the time) with taking EBM from a bottle when needed, so I'm not worried about the bottle. Should I mix it 1/2 and 1/2? Like I said, I only have enough for 7 feedings, so maybe if I do that - I can get through until tomorrow's appointment without a full formula feed.

I'm glad to clear about the spit up

One of the more experienced ladies on the site would probably point you towards a precise part of the kellymom site to answer your question.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/index.html

You'll probably get a better response if you repost with a title that specifically relates to your feeding question.
    Mum to Alexander, born 2nd April 2010

Still at a year and when apart
    Part time cloth and

Midna is our cat - it made sense at two in the morning whilst hunting for help!

this link talkes about blood in babies stool

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/bloodystool.html

your milk is ok for baby to drink.

•A third common cause: If mom has a cracked nipple or other bleeding, then baby may ingest some blood from mom (this is not harmful to baby), which may show up in baby's stool.

did they tell you why they didn't want you to nurse?